1.2 Million MA Residents Expected to Travel for Independence Day
Sunday, June 24, 2018
“This Independence Day will be one for the record books, as more Americans take to the nation’s roads, skies, rails and waterways than ever before. Confident consumers with additional disposable income will look to spend on travel this holiday, building on an already busy summer travel season,” said Mary Maguire, AAA Northeast Director of Public and Legislative Affairs.
Overall, AAA projects that 46.9 million Americans will travel at least 50 miles during the holiday, an increase of over 5% from last year.
By the Numbers: 2018 Independence Day Holiday Travel Forecast
- Of the 49.9 million travelers, a record 1.25 million will come from Massachusetts.
- The vast majority of travelers – 39.7 million – will hit the road this Independence Day, 5.1 percent more than last year. For only the second time ever, travelers by car from Massachusetts will top the 1 million mark, approaching 1.1 million.
- A record-breaking 3.8 million people will travel by air, a 7.9 percent increase and the ninth consecutive year of air travel volume increases.
- A total of 3.5 million passengers will travel by trains, buses and cruise ships, up 5.8 percent over 2017.
According to the global transportation analytics company, INRIX, drivers will experience the worst congestion over the holiday week on Tuesday, July 3 in the late afternoon – as commuters leave work early and mix with holiday travelers.
In Boston, for example, estimates are that Tuesday between 3:30-6:30 pm, travel will be 1.8 times longer than usual.
- AAA Southern NE Calls Students For Annual Traffic Safety Contest
- Red Sox Win! Thaaaaa Red Sox Win!
- AAA Study: Driving Costs Down in 2014
- AAA Travel Marketplace to Take Place March 6-8
- Beechwood Hotel Receives Four Diamond Award from AAA
- Worcester’s Beechwood Hotel Receives High Honors From AAA
- AAA Refused to Pick Up Blind Woman Stranded with Service Dog
- Leonardo Angiulo: The Importance of an Independent Judiciary
- LEGAL MATTERS: Are You An Independent Contractor Or An Employee?
- Catch the Independence Day Celebration With Your WOO Card
- Leonardo Angiulo: Something To Be Proud Of On Independence Day
- Independent Winn Handy Hopes He Introduced New Ideas
- Mass GOP Not Buying Warren’s “Independence”
- Actors Sought for New Independent Film: Casting Call Jan 8
- Providence To Get Historic ‘Independence Trail’
- Well-Read: 6 New Titles that Independent Booksellers Love
- Majority of Central Mass Voters are Independent - Why It Matters
- NEW: MA Health + Human Services Requests Independent Review of DCF
- NEW: MA Ranked #1 State for New Economy by Independent Think Tank
- Worcester Independence Day Fireworks Postponed to July 2
- Fit For Life: Claim Your Independence!
- The Best Jobs for Independent People
- 61 St. George’s Sex Abuse Victims Identified in Independent Report
- 5th Annual SPM Craft Fair to Showcase Worcester’s Independent Handmade Crafts
- Smart Benefits: Determine Independent Contractor vs. Employee for ACA Compliance
- Angiulo: Independent Contractors, Employers, and Unemployment Benefits in Massachusetts
- City of Worcester Announces Independence Day Celebration
- Fit for Life: Time for Independence!
- McGovern Joins Petition to Force Vote on Independent Investigation Into Trump-Russia Ties