MA Beauty Expert: How to Pack an Evening Bag
Sunday, December 06, 2015
Easy Lip and Cheek Magic
Instead carrying a full-sized lipstick, swipe a retractable lip brush over your favorite tube of lip color. Hoarding a dab for cheeks will replace a blusher compact as well as for touching-up lips. This alone saves precious real estate in your pretty little purse.
After dancing and socializing, a slim packet of blotting or rice papers will restore your face and eliminate slick grease without interfering with your makeup. Barely bigger than a credit card, these sheaves of paper look like a matchbook and nestle nicely.
Since you won't be carrying a hefty powder compact, try a mini-eyeshadow with a mirror. Choose a pale frost color which can double up as an eyelid crease eliminator and skin highlighter. Put a touch on the brow bone and upper cheeks to reignite your glow. Tender is the night.
You'll be enjoying yourself too much to fuss with hair. Tuck an inexpensive small comb into your bag for tidying up. It's all you will need. Make it colorful so your fingertips can find it easily.
Instead of a swaddled bunch of tissues, see if Mom has a sweet vintage handkerchief instead. They can also be found in many local antique shops. Easy chic with a romantic heart.
Decant your favorite perfume into a small atomizer. Nordstrom has these on hand at the perfume counter for less than ten dollars. Or save the samples department stores hand out when a new fragrance is launched. These tiny specimens are perfect for a narrow evening clutch and are more than enough for a dreamy fragrant night.
Clutches, Minaudieres, Pouches...Oh My!
Lovely evening bags come in all shapes and are some of the most inventive and beautiful handbags you will ever see. They almost never go out of style so if you want to invest in a hard-shelled jeweled minaudiere, go ahead. Someday, your granddaughter will thank you for it.
This season, the charming boutique, Lola, has lots of unusual evening bags designed in mixed media. For modern appeal, their famed Whiting Davis New/Contempo line is sleek with metal fabrication. Perfectly elegant with black velvety tops. Another choice is the Le Regale Royale Crest hand-beaded evening clutch in gorgeous sapphire, with or without a twisted strap. 120 N. Main St., Providence
Donna Macdonald is a freelance writer who enjoys covering topics of interest to women, especially fragrance, style, beauty. She has also written marketing material for a women's book that hit the New York Times Bestseller list and netted her an up close and personal discussion on the Oprah Winfrey Show. Donna currently writes her own personal blog, alovelyinconsequence.blogspot.com, where she also writes about issues close to a woman's heart. Donna believes that when a woman finds beauty in the world, she will find beauty in herself.
Related Slideshow: 10 Beauty Salons in Central MA for Your Weekend Prep
70 Worcester-Providence Tpke., Millbury, MA
A trip to Orange Salon in Millbury means you will receive a complimentary signature scalp massage, specific hair and scalp treatment, hand and arm massage, and makeup touch up with every beauty service.
Photo: Orange Salon
376 Chandler St., Worcester, MA
Shi-Shi's is Worcester's "first multi-textural salon" specializing in a "Make Me Over" chemical texturizing service. They also offer an acai deep conditioning masque and a Brazillian blowout smoothing treatment to tame any type of hair.
- MA Beauty Expert: How to Find the Perfect Swimsuit
- MA Beauty Expert: Chic Styling – Getting White Right
- MA Beauty Expert: Soft Focus Spring – Pretty New Colors
- MA Beauty Expert: The Art of Concealment – New Skin Cover-Ups
- MA Beauty Expert: Spring Trendspotting – Five Surprising Musts
- MA Beauty Expert: Universal Flatterers – Make-up Magic or Hype?
- MA Beauty Expert: Midsummer Style
- MA Beauty Expert: Lavender Love
- MA Beauty Expert: Fall’s Booty Call Finding Your Cold Weather Dream Boots
- MA Beauty Expert: Taking It All Off - Five New Makeup Removers
- MA Beauty Expert: What to Wear to Your High School Reunion
- MA Beauty Expert: Styling a Lace Skirt
- MA Beauty Expert: Your Shapewear Handbook - What to Wear Under That Party Dress
- MA Beauty Expert: Mysterious Pearls & How to Wear Them
- MA Beauty Expert: Show Some Leg - The Return of Hosiery
- MA Beauty Expert: The Return of the Dressing Gown
- MA Beauty Expert: The Art of Blushing - Creamy Color for Summer’s End
- MA Beauty Expert: Campus Style for Grown-Ups
- MA Beauty Expert: Bold Red Lips
- MA Beauty Expert: Five Fall Beauty Appointments You Need
- MA Beauty Expert: Where to Jumpstart your Holiday Beauty & Style Shopping
- MA Beauty Expert: Stylish Father’s Day Gifts
- MA Beauty Expert: Summer Espadrilles
- MA Beauty Expert: Cool Summer Beauty Shopping
- MA Beauty Expert: Summer S.O.S.