MA Beauty Expert: New Sparkling Hair Accessories
Sunday, December 13, 2015
The last time we saw pretty barrettes was during the grunge phase of the late ‘90’s. But then, they were the only nod to femininity in an otherwise mucky fashion season. This time around, little shiny nothings enhance what is already there: gorgeous and flirty party styles that still beg for a little head bling. Here’s what to look for:
Almost all the latest hair adornments are crystallized. Barrettes, clips, and headbands have fetching colored stones to match holiday tops and dresses. Find rhinestone pieces in unexpectedly bright colors such as emerald green or gold to go with festive holiday attire.
If wearing your hair up is your favorite evening look, stick in a few brilliant hairpins for refined elegance. Or choose bobby pins with flashing faux diamonds that are strong enough to hold your chignon in place.
Modern headbands are charmingly embellished with petite crystals and beads. Soft and stretchy, they double as bracelets. Wear one in front of your updo to keep wispy hairs in place or go Flapper and wear it across your forehead for sophistication.
Even a disheveled low ponytail looks elegant with a small clip of brilliant jewels. Or pin your hair with a shimmering barrette and then release a few strands from constraint to soften the look.
Stay away from bridal looks that are too fussy. The new hair ornaments have a how-did-that-get-there approach. Less precious is the mood.
Karol Richardson, Newport, carries sparkling auroral-like headbands with a Greek-feel by designer Deepa Gurnani. Their line by Medusa is coveted for the Swarovski crystals embedded into each piece creating maximum luminosity. You will find a terrific assortment of barrettes, clips, and hair claws, all embellished with faceted gems.
The ethereal loveliness of a sparkly little hair accessory may not turn you into a princess this holiday season but you may just feel like one!
Donna Macdonald is a freelance writer who enjoys covering topics of interest to women, especially fragrance, style, beauty. She has also written marketing material for a women's book that hit the New York Times Bestseller list and netted her an up close and personal discussion on the Oprah Winfrey Show. Donna currently writes her own personal blog, alovelyinconsequence.blogspot.com, where she also writes about issues close to a woman's heart. Donna believes that when a woman finds beauty in the world, she will find beauty in herself.
Related Slideshow: 10 Beauty Salons in Central MA for Your Weekend Prep
70 Worcester-Providence Tpke., Millbury, MA
A trip to Orange Salon in Millbury means you will receive a complimentary signature scalp massage, specific hair and scalp treatment, hand and arm massage, and makeup touch up with every beauty service.
Photo: Orange Salon
376 Chandler St., Worcester, MA
Shi-Shi's is Worcester's "first multi-textural salon" specializing in a "Make Me Over" chemical texturizing service. They also offer an acai deep conditioning masque and a Brazillian blowout smoothing treatment to tame any type of hair.
- MA Beauty Expert: Cool Summer Beauty Shopping
- MA Beauty Expert: Stylish Father’s Day Gifts
- MA Beauty Expert: Summer S.O.S.
- MA Beauty Expert: Styling a Lace Skirt
- MA Beauty Expert: Midsummer Style
- MA Beauty Expert: Summer Espadrilles
- MA Beauty Expert: How to Find the Perfect Swimsuit
- MA Beauty Expert: The Art of Concealment – New Skin Cover-Ups
- MA Beauty Expert: Spring Trendspotting – Five Surprising Musts
- MA Beauty Expert: Universal Flatterers – Make-up Magic or Hype?
- MA Beauty Expert: Chic Styling – Getting White Right
- MA Beauty Expert: Lavender Love
- MA Beauty Expert: The Art of Blushing - Creamy Color for Summer’s End
- MA Beauty Expert: What to Wear to Your High School Reunion
- MA Beauty Expert: Fall’s Booty Call Finding Your Cold Weather Dream Boots
- MA Beauty Expert: Your Shapewear Handbook - What to Wear Under That Party Dress
- MA Beauty Expert: Mysterious Pearls & How to Wear Them
- MA Beauty Expert: Where to Jumpstart your Holiday Beauty & Style Shopping
- MA Beauty Expert: Taking It All Off - Five New Makeup Removers
- MA Beauty Expert: Show Some Leg - The Return of Hosiery
- MA Beauty Expert: Campus Style for Grown-Ups
- MA Beauty Expert: Bold Red Lips
- MA Beauty Expert: Five Fall Beauty Appointments You Need
- MA Beauty Expert: The Return of the Dressing Gown
- MA Beauty Expert: How to Pack an Evening Bag