MA Beauty Expert: New Year’s Style Resolutions
Sunday, January 03, 2016
Wear More Color
Black is chic and slimming but it’s not the only color in the spectrum. Add some brights to help with seasonal doldrums and pale winter skin. Try a hot pink scarf or a Russian red tunic. It will improve your mood too.
Buy Some New Skivvies
Ever open your underwear drawer and shudder? Buy a selection of wellfitting, pretty lingerie for everyday. Toss out everything that is grey or has stretchedout elastic. Don’t be surprised if someone asks you if you’ve lost weight. Like tomorrow.
Take Some Beauty Risks
If you’re afraid of eyeshadow and threatened by lip liner, now is the time to step out of your comfort zone. Get thee to a beauty department at the mall. Ask the makeup artist to teach you how to do a smokey eye. Or ask to be shown the best way to line your lips for maximum lipstick staying power. Updating periodically keeps you current and there’s no better time than a new year to try something new.
Start a Skincare Regimen
Make this the year you stop crashing with a full face of makeup. Buy some oilfree makeup remover, a foaming cleanser, and some moisturizer. Some drugstores now have an inhouse consultant. Ask for the best line for your skin and invest. But more importantly, promise to take care of your skin. Religiously.
Deep Dive your Closet
There’s gold in there. Trust me. You may even find some things with the tags still on. Style your finds with newer items. Plot out outfits on paper and mix it up with textures and color. You may want that new sweater but you may find a great facsimile under a pile of last year’s jeans. You bought it once because you liked it. Fall in love again and see what your imagination can do.
Donna Macdonald is a freelance writer who enjoys covering topics of interest to women, especially fragrance, style, beauty. She has also written marketing material for a women's book that hit the New York Times Bestseller list and netted her an up close and personal discussion on the Oprah Winfrey Show. Donna currently writes her own personal blog, alovelyinconsequence.blogspot.com, where she also writes about issues close to a woman's heart. Donna believes that when a woman finds beauty in the world, she will find beauty in herself.
Related Slideshow: 10 Beauty Salons in Central MA for Your Weekend Prep
70 Worcester-Providence Tpke., Millbury, MA
A trip to Orange Salon in Millbury means you will receive a complimentary signature scalp massage, specific hair and scalp treatment, hand and arm massage, and makeup touch up with every beauty service.
Photo: Orange Salon
376 Chandler St., Worcester, MA
Shi-Shi's is Worcester's "first multi-textural salon" specializing in a "Make Me Over" chemical texturizing service. They also offer an acai deep conditioning masque and a Brazillian blowout smoothing treatment to tame any type of hair.
- MA Beauty Expert: Summer S.O.S.
- MA Beauty Expert: Cool Summer Beauty Shopping
- MA Beauty Expert: Styling a Lace Skirt
- MA Beauty Expert: Midsummer Style
- MA Beauty Expert: Lavender Love
- MA Beauty Expert: Stylish Father’s Day Gifts
- MA Beauty Expert: Summer Espadrilles
- Beauty Insider: Mother’s Day Gifts - Palettes to Make Mom Pretty
- MA Beauty Expert: Universal Flatterers – Make-up Magic or Hype?
- MA Beauty Expert: Chic Styling – Getting White Right
- MA Beauty Expert: How to Find the Perfect Swimsuit
- MA Beauty Expert: The Art of Blushing - Creamy Color for Summer’s End
- MA Beauty Expert: Campus Style for Grown-Ups
- MA Beauty Expert: Your Shapewear Handbook - What to Wear Under That Party Dress
- MA Beauty Expert: What to Wear to Your High School Reunion
- MA Beauty Expert: Mysterious Pearls & How to Wear Them
- MA Beauty Expert: Where to Jumpstart your Holiday Beauty & Style Shopping
- MA Beauty Expert: How to Pack an Evening Bag
- MA Beauty Expert: Fall’s Booty Call Finding Your Cold Weather Dream Boots
- MA Beauty Expert: Taking It All Off - Five New Makeup Removers
- MA Beauty Expert: Bold Red Lips
- MA Beauty Expert: Five Fall Beauty Appointments You Need
- MA Beauty Expert: The Return of the Dressing Gown
- MA Beauty Expert: Show Some Leg - The Return of Hosiery
- MA Beauty Expert: New Sparkling Hair Accessories