MA Beauty Expert: The Return of the Dressing Gown
Sunday, September 13, 2015
Dressing gowns are often made of delightfully slippery fabrics such as silk or silk blends and they feel so sexy next to the skin. Instant femininity and believe me, he will notice it too.
Bring it on Color
Where else can you wear your wildest colors but in your own private world? Or if you want to express your little girl aesthetic, go for soft pastels with flowery botanical motifs.
Many dressing gowns borrow from the traditional Japanese kimono which has been worn for centuries. Look for small rich patterns and flowing bell sleeves (but watch the gas burners while making the morning coffee).
It's in the Details
Dressing gowns often have beautiful dressmaker details such as French cuffs and matching self-ties. It's not unusual to find coordinating lace at the sleeve and neckline and wide sumptuous hems for maximum sashaying.
A lot of dressing gowns have matching nighties. Why not? Put together a surprising and total look for a romantic evening in. Some nightgowns are short and sweet and some long and sweeping. Use your imagination and choose the look you most want to embrace: cute, sexy, or dreamy. I promise you, no one will be complaining now.
TJ Maxx and Marshalls are great places to scour for dressing gowns but more traditional lingerie shops also carry beautiful choices in their bridal sections. Feminine Fancies in Barrington and Deborah Winthrop in Portsmouth (and now Newport) are both terrific boutiques for browsing as well as getting expert advice.
In sum, at-home wear gives you a chance to express yourself in a different way. Opting for a dressing gown is something you choose for yourself as well as your own private audience. For even more inspiration, check out the Newport Preservation Society's online exhibit, "Private Life and the Dressing Gown" at and see if you're not moved to find your own special gown.
Donna Macdonald is a freelance writer who enjoys covering topics of interest to women, especially fragrance, style, beauty. She has also written marketing material for a women's book that hit the New York Times Bestseller list and netted her an up close and personal discussion on the Oprah Winfrey Show. Donna currently writes her own personal blog, alovelyinconsequence.blogspot.com, where she also writes about issues close to a woman's heart. Donna believes that when a woman finds beauty in the world, she will find beauty in herself.
Related Slideshow: 10 Beauty Salons in Central MA for Your Weekend Prep
70 Worcester-Providence Tpke., Millbury, MA
A trip to Orange Salon in Millbury means you will receive a complimentary signature scalp massage, specific hair and scalp treatment, hand and arm massage, and makeup touch up with every beauty service.
Photo: Orange Salon
376 Chandler St., Worcester, MA
Shi-Shi's is Worcester's "first multi-textural salon" specializing in a "Make Me Over" chemical texturizing service. They also offer an acai deep conditioning masque and a Brazillian blowout smoothing treatment to tame any type of hair.
- MA Beauty Expert: Soft Focus Spring – Pretty New Colors
- MA Beauty Expert: The Art of Concealment – New Skin Cover-Ups
- MA Beauty Expert: Spring Trendspotting – Five Surprising Musts
- MA Beauty Expert: Universal Flatterers – Make-up Magic or Hype?
- MA Beauty Expert: She’s Come Undone – The Messy Look
- MA Beauty Expert: Shop for Your Perfect Special Occasion Dress
- MA Beauty Expert: Super Bowl style – is There Such a Thing?
- MA Beauty Expert: Ageless Beauty in Winter – It Is Possible
- MA Beauty Expert: Spring’s New Palette
- MA Beauty Expert: Choosing a New Spring Raincoat
- MA Beauty Expert: Chic Styling – Getting White Right
- MA Beauty Expert: How to Find the Perfect Swimsuit
- MA Beauty Expert: Lavender Love
- MA Beauty Expert: The Art of Blushing - Creamy Color for Summer’s End
- MA Beauty Expert: Campus Style for Grown-Ups
- MA Beauty Expert: Bold Red Lips
- MA Beauty Expert: Midsummer Style
- MA Beauty Expert: Styling a Lace Skirt
- MA Beauty Expert: Summer Espadrilles
- MA Beauty Expert: Stylish Father’s Day Gifts
- MA Beauty Expert: Cool Summer Beauty Shopping
- MA Beauty Expert: Summer S.O.S.
- MA Beauty Expert: Five Fall Beauty Appointments You Need