MA Beauty Expert: Your Shapewear Handbook - What to Wear Under That Party Dress
Sunday, November 15, 2015
Body Suits and Slips
Flowy dresses cry out for clean lines underneath. Today's body suits are not body armour and gently nip it all in. The strong lycra is tempered with cotton blends that give. Shaper slips are great for tucking in the derriere and upper thighs.
Muffin-tops are the scourge of the fashion-conscious. If your problem spot is the tummy a shaper cami will smooth down the line to the hips. Find one in flesh-tone for the best coverage - it camouflages better than pure white.
These jodpur-like pants might look strange but they evaporate the dreaded VPL as well as keep everything leggy and tight. Plus they offer an element of warmth on those cold festive nights. You can't beat the back-side sculpting too. Perfect for pear-shaped types.
Admittedly not for the faint of heart, they do give the illusion of a smaller waist. They look scary but they work and with a lot less discomfort than you might imagine. If an hourglass is what you're after, you'll get it with one of these shapers.
Here's something new: hose with a built-in squeeze. Like control-top pantyhose but for all over gentle tightening. No jiggling thighs and super-comfortable and elegant.
This daily underpant gives you one thing above all else: confidence. The elastin fabric holds you in subtly and gives just as much assurance to office pencil skirts as party dresses. Find pretty ones with lace and give up those flimsy cotton briefs that do nothing to enhance your look.
There’s nothing less chic than starting to sweat as you try to wiggle into shapewear. Choosing the right undergarments can be a tricky because the tendency is to buy one size smaller. Don't. It will be harder to get into and may cause popping in a place you didn't expect. Choosing the proper size makes for easy, non-clammy dressing and ultimately better results with your frock.
Shapers can be found in nearly every major department store chain. For truly knowledgeable assistance, check out Deborah Winthrop Lingerie in Portsmouth. Staff know the benefits and limits of good shapewear and can make recommendations. Bring along that gorgeous party dress to actually see results in real time. Bend, sit, stand, even dance to make sure it's truly comfortable.
Donna Macdonald is a freelance writer who enjoys covering topics of interest to women, especially fragrance, style, beauty. She has also written marketing material for a women's book that hit the New York Times Bestseller list and netted her an up close and personal discussion on the Oprah Winfrey Show. Donna currently writes her own personal blog, alovelyinconsequence.blogspot.com, where she also writes about issues close to a woman's heart. Donna believes that when a woman finds beauty in the world, she will find beauty in herself.
Related Slideshow: 10 Beauty Salons in Central MA for Your Weekend Prep
70 Worcester-Providence Tpke., Millbury, MA
A trip to Orange Salon in Millbury means you will receive a complimentary signature scalp massage, specific hair and scalp treatment, hand and arm massage, and makeup touch up with every beauty service.
Photo: Orange Salon
376 Chandler St., Worcester, MA
Shi-Shi's is Worcester's "first multi-textural salon" specializing in a "Make Me Over" chemical texturizing service. They also offer an acai deep conditioning masque and a Brazillian blowout smoothing treatment to tame any type of hair.
- MA Beauty Expert: Chic Styling – Getting White Right
- MA Beauty Expert: Universal Flatterers – Make-up Magic or Hype?
- MA Beauty Expert: How to Find the Perfect Swimsuit
- MA Beauty Expert: Summer Espadrilles
- MA Beauty Expert: Stylish Father’s Day Gifts
- Beauty Insider: Mother’s Day Gifts - Palettes to Make Mom Pretty
- MA Beauty Expert: Spring Trendspotting – Five Surprising Musts
- MA Beauty Expert: Shop for Your Perfect Special Occasion Dress
- MA Beauty Expert: She’s Come Undone – The Messy Look
- MA Beauty Expert: Soft Focus Spring – Pretty New Colors
- MA Beauty Expert: The Art of Concealment – New Skin Cover-Ups
- MA Beauty Expert: Cool Summer Beauty Shopping
- MA Beauty Expert: Summer S.O.S.
- MA Beauty Expert: The Return of the Dressing Gown
- MA Beauty Expert: Five Fall Beauty Appointments You Need
- MA Beauty Expert: Show Some Leg - The Return of Hosiery
- MA Beauty Expert: Taking It All Off - Five New Makeup Removers
- MA Beauty Expert: Fall’s Booty Call Finding Your Cold Weather Dream Boots
- MA Beauty Expert: Bold Red Lips
- MA Beauty Expert: Campus Style for Grown-Ups
- MA Beauty Expert: Styling a Lace Skirt
- MA Beauty Expert: Midsummer Style
- MA Beauty Expert: Lavender Love
- MA Beauty Expert: The Art of Blushing - Creamy Color for Summer’s End
- MA Beauty Expert: What to Wear to Your High School Reunion