Assumption Announces New Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity Program
Thursday, May 31, 2018
“Cyberspace is a dynamic and evolving ecosystem, with complex, multifaceted networks that connect individuals, organizations and national and international entities. However, cyberspace's expansion presents new weaknesses to exploit, making it vulnerable to intrusion and exploitation. Cyber threats and vulnerabilities have grown exponentially with the explosion of technology and connectedness, affecting individuals, organizations, and nations alike. Through a new major in cybersecurity, Assumption College will train the next generation of individuals who will seek to thwart and respond to cyber threats and attacks,” said Assumption College Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs Louise Carroll Keeley, Ph.D.
The college has hired University of Maine Fort Kent Professor of Computer Science Raymond Albert, Ph.D. as the director of the program.
A search committee led by Department of Mathematics and Computer Science Chair Joe Alfano, Ph.D., and department faculty unanimously recommended Prof. Albert for the director post.
”It is an exciting and fulfilling time to be engaged in the cybersecurity field. The field is growing at a rate expected to exceed that of technological advancement itself. Correspondingly, the demand for highly qualified cybersecurity professionals continues to far surpass availability. I very much look forward to joining the Assumption family and exploring mutually rewarding collaborative opportunities to firmly establish a quality academic program that will provide the best possible cybersecurity education to its students,” said Prof. Albert.
The curriculum for the new program is designed to meet the standards outlined by the National Security Agency and U.S. Department for Homeland Security’s (DHS) Center for Academic Excellence credential.
Assumption’s Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity offers a technology-based education, using methods in computing and information science, engineering, social science and technology management that also foster innovation and entrepreneurship in the digital information economy.
The degree program is made up of 18 required courses: five courses in computer science and statistics; eight cybersecurity core courses; and five advanced courses in cybersecurity, including a capstone project in cybersecurity leadership, and an independent project or internship.
Professor Albert holds a B.A. from the University of Maine, Fort Kent; an M.S. from the University of Vermont; a Doctor of Philosophy from the University of Florida in instructional technology; and a post-graduate certificate in information assurance/security from Purdue University.
Albert serves as a Major in the Civil Air Patrol; member of the Association of Small Computer Users in Education; reader for advanced placement computer science exams; and proposal evaluator for EDUCAUSE’s annual conference.
He is also a member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers; Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education; Association for Educational Communications and Technology; National Computer Science Honor Society; Association of Computing Machinery; and the Aircraft Owners and Pilot Association.
- Assumption College and Holy Cross Students to Attend Papal Mass in Philadelphia
- United Way Hires Assumption Grad as New Community Relationships Manager
- Worcester Economy Growth Slows, but is Stable Says Assumption Report
- MLB’s Colabello Headlines Assumption Hall of Fame Class
- 15 Who Made a Difference in 2015: Francesco Cesareo, President Assumption
- Toronto Blue Jays Designate Assumption’s Colabello for Assignment
- UPDATE: Former Assumption College Student Charged With Bomb Threat
- Assumption College Ranked Top Regional College by US News
- BREAKING: Assumption College is Being Evacuated Due to Bomb Threat
- UPDATE: Police Probing Assumption College After Bomb Threat
- NEW: Arrest Made In Assumption College Bomb Threat
- Assumption to Host Ecumenical Prayer for Christian Unity on Feb. 12
- Olympic Gold Medalist, Kayla Harrison, to Speak at Assumption
- Spanish Diplomat Fernandez-Arias to Speak About Xenophobia at Assumption
- Assumption to Show Documentary on Market Basket Family Feud
- Assumption Students to Perform The Music Man at Hanover Theatre
- Assumption to Host Screening of Hiroshima Documentary “Paper Lanterns”
- Assumption College Receives 2nd Largest Gift in School’s History
- Be Like Brit Co-Founder Gengel to Speak at Assumption College
- Assumption Students to Make Walk For Mercy on Sunday
- Economic History Expert Hirschfeld PH.D. to Speak at Assumption College
- Assumption College Awards 693 Degrees at 99th Commencement Ceremony
- Gov. Baker Nominates Assumption Alum Lemire to MA Appeals Court
- Assumption College Names Marcoux Director of Athletics