Assumption Econ. Professor Predicts Growth for Worcester in 2014
Monday, February 17, 2014
Using an original combination of national and Worcester-specific economic metrics, Professor White has predicted a growth of 1.5 percent for Worcester's economy over the next three to six months. Professor White will continue to release reports on the state of the local economy, entitled Worcester Economic Indicators, each quarter. The next report will be issued in May.
To view the first Worcester Economic Index click here
“Worcester residents and city officials are interested in how their local economy is performing,” said Professor White. “When the national economy is strong, the Worcester economy tends to be strong as well, but that is not always the case. As such, the Worcester Economic Index (WEI) is providing additional, important information on the city’s economic outlook.”
Professor White's report makes use of national statistics including consumer expectations, changes in the S&P 500 Index, the interest rate spread, and the Leading Credit Index. In addition, the WEI takes into account local measures of economic health like non-farm payroll employment, household employment and the unemployment rate within Worcester.
Related Slideshow: New England Colleges With the Best Undergraduate Teaching
U.S. News & World Report released a survey conducted in 2013 of college administrators on the best schools for undergraduate teaching. Several New England made their lists for best National Universities, Liberal Arts Colleges, and Regional Universities. See which schools made the lists in the slides below:
- Bill Delahunt: A New England Patent Office Will Boost the Economy
- Fed Issues Report on New England Economy - Beige Book
- Has the Worcester Economy Become Too Dependent on Meds + Eds?
- NEW: Bryant U. Forum—Economy Slowly Recovering
- NEW: RI Economy Still Expanding
- Report: MA Beer Distributors Pump Nearly $900 Million into State Economy
- Where is the Rhode Island Economy Going?
- Worcester’s Economic Outlook Still Hazy
- Central Mass Experts: Big Banks Holding Back Economic Recovery
- Global Economy Focus of Bryant Financial Forum
- Julia Steiny: Breaking Up the Economic Segregation in Our Schools
- NEW: Central Mass Scores $75,000 for Economic Development
- NEW: State Senate to Hold Economic Summit Next Week
- Report: Slow Growth in MA Economy Cause for Concern
- $3 Million Grant Passed for Worcester Economy, Tourism
- Challenge to Governor Chafee: Rebuild the RI Economy
- Good Is Good: 5 Truths About Our Economic Mess
- Julia Steiny: Economy To Youth: Make Your Own Jobs
- NEW: Clark to Host Renowned Economist
- NEW: WPI Promoting International Economic Growth
- Rhode Island Ranks 16th in the New Economy Index
- Why is Prostitution Tied to Economic Development in Worcester?
- 4 Central MA Economic Development Projects Approved by State
- Could $100 Million Rail Deal Jump Start Worcester’s Economy?
- Grace Ross: It’s economic policy, stupid…
- Lack Of Hotels Costing Worcester Economy
- NEW: Hospitals Pump $6.3 Billion into RI Economy
- NEW: Worcester Chamber Establishes Fund for Economic Development
- Romeo Brothers Revitalize Downtown Millbury Economy
- Will Warren’s Bank Committee Appointment Slow the Economy?
- Aaron Regunberg: Want Economic Development? Raise the Minimum Wage
- Grace Ross: Policies That Build Economies and Those That Destroy Them
- MA Business Confidence Shows Economy on the Rebound
- NEW: IPIC Offers $110,000 in Grants to Strengthen Knowledge Economy
- New Company an Economic Development Win for RI
- Senate and House Announce Defense Economy Commission
- Will a Minimum Wage Hike Hurt or Help Worcester’s Economy?
- BREAKING: Chief of Staff for Economic Development Placed on Administrative Leave
- Economic Development: How Did Worcester Do in 2012?
- Grace Ross: Postal Service Cuts—It’s Not the Bad Economy
- MA State Deficit Could Crush Economic Recovery
- NEW: Lila Delman Real Estate Hosts Economic Summit
- RI Economic Recovery: Better Than Expected
- Strong Economic Growth Predicted for Massachusetts in 2014
- Worcester Activists Reinventing Local Economy
- Bale, Cooper, Lawrence Movie Bolstering Worcester Economy
- Economic Summit: Jobs Still #1 Priority
- Grace Ross: Stop Repeating History; Fix the Economy!
- Mondor made baseball economical and entertaining in Rhode Island
- NEW: RI Congressional Delegation—No ‘Silver Bullets’ for Economy
- Raimondo: Pensions Dragging Down RI Economy
- Tech Collective Poll: Can Technology be the Driving Force to Rhode Island’s Economic Growth?
- Worcester Economy Stuck In Neutral
- Benefits of Divorce Mediation During Tough Economic Times
- Grace Ross: Time To Retrofit Our Economy
- NEW: Scott Brown Calls for Bipartisan Effort to Restore Economy
- NEW: RI Economy Continues Recovery
- Report: Better Public Transit Could Boost MA’s Gateway City Economies
- Worcester’s Public Transportation Critical to Economic Growth