Eppendorf Partners with Biomanufacturing Center at WPI
Wednesday, February 19, 2014
“I am so pleased to welcome colleagues from Eppendorf as partners at our center,” said Kamal Rashid, PhD, Director of the BETC and a research professor at WPI. “I have had the pleasure of collaborating with talented people from Eppendorf for many years, and I know this new partnership is an important addition to the BETC that will enhance our ability to provide the highest quality and most relevant training experiences for our students.”
Under the terms of the agreement, Eppendorf will supply the BETC with myriad equipment, including three bench-scale bioreactors, a CEPA continuous-flow centrifuge, and a New Brunswick Carbon Dioxide Incubator. Eppendorf will also share expertise, as several engineers and scientists will collaborate with BETC faculty to develop programs and coordinate training. For their part, WPI will offered discounted tuition on BETC programs for a limited number of Eppendorf customers. Eppendorf Inc. President and CEO Mike Sattan will additionally serve as part of BETC's advisory board.
Sattan spoke glowingly of the agreement. “We are proud to support this partnership with the BETC. Eppendorf is a global leader in the life sciences industry, with strong ties in the bioprocessing area, and this program at WPI will provide a valuable resource for our customers. We look forward to collaborating with the BETC’s biomanufacturing program team and we are very excited about this initiative," said Sattan.
Related Slideshow: College Guide 2013: Best Places for Live Music
If you like punk and metal, the Palladium is your perfect night out. Having hosted acts like Fall Out Boy, Blink-182, and My Chemical Romance, the Palladium continues to feature the best of the genre (as well as some others—Moby, Bob Dylan, and Kanye West, to name a few). Ticket prices vary by performer, and all shows are general admission unless otherwise noted.
261 Main St, Worcester. 508-797-9696. www.thepalladium.net
During the week, Jillian’s is the perfect place to chill—there’s a bar, pool tables, and a game room. On Fridays and Saturdays, it’s a cozy concert hall—beginning at 9:30, local bands from hard rock to reggae take the stage.
315 Grove St, Worcester. 508-793-0900. www.jilliansworcester.com/
Beatnik’s came into existence as a place to “be you”—an homage to the mid-20th-century subculture from which it borrows its name. It has a unique but cozy atmosphere and great food as well as live music. If you’re over 21, check it out.
433 Park Ave, Worcester. 508-926-8877. www.beatniksbeyou.com
Lucky Dog Music Hall
If you’re over 21, come check out this longstanding and highly praised Worcester music hall. Catering to rock fans, Lucky Dog has live music almost every night of the week, with 80s tribute band Flock of Assholes appearing every Thursday.
89 Green St, Worcester. 508-363-1888. www.theluckydogmusichall.com
Ralph’s Rock Diner
Ralph’s has something for everybody—Cinemageddon on Sundays, poetry on Mondays, guest bands and DJs on Tuesdays, trivia and karaoke on Wednesdays, Metal Thursdays, and live music on Fridays. For Ralphs, too, though, make sure you’re over 21!
148 Grove St, Worcester. 508-753-9543. www.ralphsrockdiner.com
Nick’s Bar and Restaurant
Why should you have to wait for the weekend for a night out? Nick’s hosts acts every night. Kick back with a beer and a snack from the new menu and listen to the best of Worcester’s live music.
124 Millbury St, Worcester. 508-753-4030. http://www.nicksworcester.com/
The Hanover Theater
If you prefer a large and regal stage to a small lounge and Broadway tunes to rock, try the Hanover Theater. This venue hosts traveling shows as well as speakers—Rudy Giuliani, Tony Bennett, and Cirque Dreams Holidaze are all coming up in the next month.
2 Southbridge St, Worcester. 877-571-SHOW. www.thehanovertheatre.org
JJ Sports Bar and Grill
Just outside of Worcester in Northboro, JJ’s hosts live music every Friday and Saturday and trivia every Tuesday and Thursday! Now that the World Series is over, there might not be as much to see, but JJ’s is also equipped with many HD televisions and a state-of-the-art sound system, so you can watch the game while you wait for the bands to play. 380 Southwest Cutoff, Northboro. 508-842-8420. www.jbag.biz.
- How WPI is Reinventing Healthcare in Mass.
- NEW: WPI Professor Named a “Woman to Watch”
- NEW: WPI Unveils New Electric Vehicle Charging Station
- Three WPI Hoop Players Named All-Conference
- WPI Gets $1.94 Million NIH Grant For Cardiac Research
- WPI Summer Program Inspires Teen Girls With Science
- NEW: 11 WPI Students Awarded Prestigious Scholarship
- NEW: WPI Announces for New Green Residence Hall
- NEW: WPI Professor Wins Award for Battery Innovation
- NEW: WPI on ‘Cutting Edge’ with New $3M Science Grad Program
- TouchTomorrow Brings Crowds, Robots To WPI
- WPI Gets Grant To Develop Personal Assistant Robots For Elderly
- WPI Team Finishes Strongly at Solar Decathlon in China
- Becker, WPI Ranked Nationally for Video Game Programs
- NEW: Biogen Idec Collaborates with WPI
- NEW: WPI Creates an App to Deal with Boston’s Potholes
- NEW: WPI Professor to Give Lectures Around the World
- NEW: WPI on the Cutting Edge of Tracking Technology
- WPI + UMass Medical Team Discover Breakthrough in Deadly Infection
- WPI Hosting Visual Art and Poetry Exhibition
- WPI Team Places 2nd in DARPA Robotics Competition
- Burncoat High School First Robotics Competes at BattleCry@WPI 14
- NEW: McGovern Announces Nearly $4 Million for Energy Research at WPI
- NEW: WPI Dedicates Sustainable Sports & Recreation Center
- NEW: WPI Promoting International Economic Growth
- NEW: WPI to Host LEGO Robot Competition
- WPI Alumna Judy Nitsch Commits 7-Figure Gift To University
- WPI Makes Sierra Magazine’s ‘Coolest Colleges’ List
- WPI Wins Awards For New Sports and Recreation Center
- Donor Gives WPI $7.8 Million 70 Years After He Had To Drop Out
- NEW: New Frat Hitting the Campus at WPI
- NEW: WPI Grad Students Compete for Investment Dollars
- NEW: WPI Repeats as Robotics Competition Winner
- NEW: WPI to Host Robotic Soccer Tournament
- WPI Attracts Record Number of Employers to Fall Career Fair
- WPI Names Commencement Speaker
- WPI to Host NASA Robotics Competition
- Former NASA Scientist Laurie Leshin Selected as WPI President
- NEW: Researchers Explore WPI’s Top-Rated Calculus Program
- NEW: WPI Hires Power Industry Veteran to Lead Continuing Education
- NEW: WPI Sets Goal of $200 Million for Fundraising Campaign
- NEW: WPI’s Grads Make More than Harvard’s in First Jobs
- WPI Baseball Primed for a Championship
- WPI Professor Is The Voice Of The Incredible Hulk
- Girl Scouts to Host Geek Is Glam STEM Expo at WPI
- NEW: WPI Honors Innovator of the Year
- NEW: WPI Students Design Award-Winning Paper Insulation for Namibians
- NEW:WPI Gets $42 Million from MassDevelopment for New Residence Hall
- WPI Basketball Looks for Revenge in Conference Tournament
- WPI Research Shows Pros and Cons of Student Texting
- Holy Cross, Clark + WPI Named Top Colleges by Forbes
- NEW: WPI Adds Five New Project Centers Around the Globe
- NEW: WPI Named Top School for Return on Investment
- NEW: WPI Students Tackle Real-World Issues in “Great Problems” Seminar
- Safety Alert: Students Warned of WPI Escort Impersonator
- WPI Football Looks for a Turnaround Season in 2012
- WPI Sponsors Clean Energy Conference: Global Cleantech Meetup