FlyORH: Good Marketing Is Key to Higher Loads at Worcester Airport
Thursday, April 03, 2014
- San Juan
- Long Beach
- Fort Lauderdale
Another way to look at it is that these cities are hubs for JetBlue. In particular, Fort Lauderdale has become a major destination to connect to the Caribbean and Latin America. I would think that would be the major reason for JetBlue changing the Fort Lauderdale flight to the morning effective May 1.
Here are the cities that you can reach from Worcester through Fort Lauderdale:
- Nassau, Bahamas
- Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
- San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Montego Bay, Jamaica
- Bogota, Colombia
For example, if you wanted to go to Nassau from May 9 and return to ORH on May 16, the total cost would be $461, including taxes. My point is that we need to start marketing more then just daily flights to Orlando and Fort Lauderdale.
Ask yourself this: Did you even consider Worcester as an option to any of these 6 destinations? Next time someone tells you we should have a flight to a hub, please tell them we do have a daily shuttle to a hub that will enable you to connect to the Caribbean and Latin America.
Again the topic of this column is that marketing of ORH. All the pieces are in place; let’s do a better job marketing ORH! Here are some ideas to make people aware:
- David Ortiz telling people to visit the Dominican traveling out of Worcester.
- For the hundredth time, the digital billboards on Route 290 and Route 146 are awesome.
- Reach out to these destinations to advertise in Central Mass.
- Miles program specifically tailored to Worcester Airport.
- Airport needs a spokesperson!
Now that would be a great contest—who should be the spokesperson for ORH?
Bill Randell is the President of Advantage Benefits, an insurance brokerage house specializing in employee benefits with an emphasis on health insurance, based in Worcester since 1992. He can be contacted at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter (@FlyORH).
Related Slideshow: Getting Out: Spring Break without Breaking your Budget
1st Annual 4B Festival
The Old Swimsuit Factory
1175 State Street, New Haven, CT, 06511
Vacations are all about the drinks and the food. New Haven’s 1st 4B Festival will make you happy you stayed in Connecticut for Spring Break. This festival, which is the largest indoor festival in Connecticut, features brews, bacon, bourbon, and barbecue, everything you need to get your mouth watering. Don’t miss this festival on March 22nd from 5:30pm to 9:30pm. Tickets are available online and are $75 and include a 4B souvenir glass. Tickets for designated drivers are $15. Tickets and more information can be found here.
The Flying Monkey
39 South Main Street, Plymouth, NH, 03264
One of the best things about going on a cruise is the non-stop entertainment on the cruise ship. However, you don’t need to be on a moving ship so enjoy live entertainment. Paula Poundstone will be performing her hilarious comedy show at The Flying Monkey in Plymouth, New Hampshire. Famous for her sharp wit and spontaneity, Poundstone will keep you laughing throughout her entire show. She will be performing at The Flying Monkey on March 15th at 7:30pm. Tickets start at $27.50 and can be ordered online.
Wor. Restaurant Week
Enjoy resort quality food at a fraction of the cost during Worcester’s Restaurant week. Running until March 8th, restaurants throughout the city of Worcester will be offering special lunch and dinner menus as well as 3 course meals at discounted prices. Prices vary by restaurant so check out what each restaurant is offering at http://worcesterrestaurantweek.webs.com/
Boston Brew Tours
Pick up Location: Starbucks located on 443 Bolyston Street, Boston, MA, 02116
Spend your day experiencing the rich history Boston has to offer while sampling beer from some of Boston’s most popular breweries. Boston Brew Tours is the only beer tour in Boston that offers daily tours to Boston’s best breweries, brewpubs and bars. You can even craft your very own tour. Each tour includes 12 or more different craft beers, a lunch and beer tasting, entrance fees to all of the breweries and round-trip transportation. Book your tour here.
Mezcal Tequila Cantina
30 Major Taylor Boulevard, Worcester, MA, 01608
The food at Mezcal Tequila Cantina will transport you to the Southwest. This restaurant blends traditional Mexican plates with popular Southwestern U.S cuisine. Don’t forget to try their made to order guacamole. See more delicious food or special events at http://www.mezcalcantina.com/
Comedy Connections RI
Comedy Connections Rhode Island
39 Warren Avenue, East Providence, RI, 02914
On March 21st and 22nd get your tickets to come see Brody Stevens at Comedy Connection. Brody Stevens is the executive producer and star of the Comedy Central TV Series “Brody Stevens: Enjoy It!” and has been a guest on Conan, Chelsea Lately and much more. Order tickets for the show here, and check out what other comedians are coming to Comedy Connections in March.
The Hanover Theatre
2 Southbridge Street, Worcester, MA, 01608
During spring break if you can’t make it all the way to Broadway you can see one of Broadway’s most popular musicals at the Hanover Theatre. Mamma Mia! will be playing on March 11th through the 13th. Over 50 million people have fallen in love with the music and story of Mamma Mia and now you can be one of them. Get your ticket here.
Bocado Tapas Wine Bar
Just because you can’t make it to Spain this spring break doesn’t mean you can’t experience some Spanish cuisine. Bocado Tapas Wine Bar offers over 40 different tapas, imported meats and Spain’s famous paella. Their authentic food and exclusively Spanish wine list will make you forget you’re in Massachusetts. See more at http://www.bocadotapasbar.com/
175 Memorial Boulevard, Newport, RI, 02840
Rhode Island is the Ocean State for a reason. Instead of flying to a beach take the short trip to Newport and spend the day on Easton Beach, Newport’s only ocean beach. Newport is a perfect spot to soak in the sun, go shopping, or get a little more adventurous on the Cliff Walk.
Dick’s Beantown Comedy
Park Grille and Spirits
257 Park Avenue, Worcester, MA, 01609
Every Friday and Saturday night New England comedy legend Dick Doherty will be presenting the top comedians from New York, Los Angeles and New England to perform at the newly renovated Park Grille and Spirits. Performances start at 9pm on Fridays and 8pm on Saturdays and tickets cost $20. College students get a discount when they show their college ID so Park Grille and Spirits is the perfect place to spend your weekends during spring break. Click here for more info or tickets.
- FlyORH: Before Worcester Airport Access Road, Let’s Fix The Signs
- FlyORH: JetBlue’s 50-Flight Milestone at Worcester Regional Airport
- FlyORH: What Worcester’s Airport Can Learn From Arnold Palmer
- FlyORH: Chamber of Commerce Works To Promote Worcester Airport
- FlyORH: Linear Air CEO William Herp Talks Air Taxis
- FlyORH: Worcester Airport Does Not Need an Access Road
- FlyORH: Changes at Worcester Airport Affecting Ticket Sales?
- FlyORH: November 7 Is JetBlue Go Time
- FlyORH: Worcester Airport Rises to the Occasion
- FlyORH: First JetBlue Flight Out of Worcester
- FlyORH: Orlando Numbers Missing the Mark at Worcester Airport?
- FlyORH: Worcester Airport by the Numbers
- FlyORH: Growing With JetBlue
- FlyORH: Predictions For Worcester Airport in 2014
- FlyORH: Worcester’s Airport Needs To Provide Ground Transportation
- FlyORH’s People On The Ground: Thrifty’s Ed Bresnahan
- FlyORH: JetBlue Arrives At Worcester Regional Airport
- FlyORH: Setting the Record Straight On Worcester Regional Airport
- FlyORH: Yapta Your Flights Out of Worcester Airport
- FlyORH: A Conversation With Wade Eyerly, Former CEO of Surf Air
- FlyORH: JetBlue Is Thinking Long-Term for ORH
- FlyORH: The Next Moves For Worcester Airport
- FlyORH: Add Worcester to the Logan Express Route
- FlyORH: JetBlue Service Report Card
- FlyORH: Troubleshooting at Worcester Airport