FlyORH: The Next Moves For Worcester Airport
Thursday, January 02, 2014
This must be the second or third time I have written about this, but it is important. JetBlue does a great job taking care of passengers with ground transportation when a flight is diverted on the same day. My brother-in-law flew in one night before Thanksgiving from Fort Lauderdale, but the plane had to land in Boston due to fog. A bus was waiting and brought him back to Worcester where I picked him up. It was very smooth and saved me the trip to Boston.
Where they falter
The problem is when the night Fort Lauderdale inbound is diverted to Boston. The next morning's outbound Orlando, which uses the same plane, will start from Boston. The current procedure is to simply notify these passengers of the change—they need to get to Boston without any ground transportation being provided. Good luck! If you drive to Boston and park, your car will be there, not Worcester, when you return.
Imagine planning for a trip to Orlando tomorrow and getting a message today that you need to be in Boston tomorrow morning for your 7:45 AM flight. What if you got a message that said: Your flight departure has been changed to Boston. Bus service will be provided out of Worcester for $10 per passenger, if desired.
Opportunities for improvement
As JetBlue, however, has brought the humanity back into air travel, Massport needs to provide better customer service to their passengers flying out of Worcester when this happens until Cat III is installed. Don’t get me wrong, I think Massport has done a great job, but has completely dropped the ball on this one. But they can solve it very easily with one phone call to Silver Fox Bus Lines in Millbury.
Lastly, I have always maintained that there is no need for an access road. Worcester Airport needs better signage, but other than that, it is quite easy to reach without any tolls, traffic or tunnels. Recently, the Callahan Tunnel was closed at midnight until March for repairs. Do you have any idea how much more difficult it will be to get to Logan? People may be taking a closer look at Worcester during this time period; let’s make their experience first class.
Related Slideshow: 7 Questions Worcester Mayor Petty Will Need To Answer
The following are seven big questions facing Worcester Mayor Petty in his secon term in office.
1) City Manager's Position May Be Vacant
2) Economic Development Mixed Reviews
3) New Council
The new City Council will have its own personality, while the old council failed to debate or discuss - and too often voted in block.
A number of the council members just elected have promised to be more proactive. This could be a challenge for Petty -- or an opportunity to drive proactive change leveraging new ideas and new energy.
4) Telegram Closing?
5) Lack of Diversity in Worcester's Government
6) Republican Governor Factor
- Bill Randell’s FlyORH: A JetBlue TrueBlue Member Speaks His Mind
- Bill Randell’s FlyORH: Bring Allegiant Back to Worcester
- Bill Randell’s FlyORH: Fly JetBlue From Worcester To Bogotá?
- Bill Randell’s FlyORH: It’s Time To Rebrand ORH
- Bill Randell’s FlyORH: JetBlue Prices At ORH On Target
- Bill Randell’s FlyORH: JetBlue’s New TrueBlue Badge
- Bill Randell’s FlyORH: Massport Needs a Rewards Program
- Bill Randell’s FlyORH: Should We Buy JetBlue Points?
- Bill Randell’s FlyORH: What Worcester’s Airport Needs Right Now
- FlyORH’s People On The Ground: Thrifty’s Ed Bresnahan
- FlyORH: Add Worcester to the Logan Express Route
- FlyORH: Before Worcester Airport Access Road, Let’s Fix The Signs
- FlyORH: First JetBlue Flight Out of Worcester
- FlyORH: JetBlue Arrives At Worcester Regional Airport
- FlyORH: JetBlue Service Report Card
- FlyORH: JetBlue’s 50-Flight Milestone at Worcester Regional Airport
- FlyORH: November 7 Is JetBlue Go Time
- FlyORH: Spotlight Worcester’s Attractions In Our Airport
- FlyORH: The JetBlue Inspiration For Worcester’s Airport
- FlyORH: The Secret to JetBlue Staying in Worcester
- FlyORH: Troubleshooting at Worcester Airport
- FlyORH: What Worcester’s Airport Can Learn From Arnold Palmer
- FlyORH: Worcester Airport by the Numbers
- FlyORH: Worcester Civic Leader Juan Gomez on JetBlue + Puerto Rico
- FlyORH: Worcester’s Airport Needs To Provide Ground Transportation