FlyORH: What Worcester’s Airport Can Learn From Arnold Palmer
Thursday, October 31, 2013
Also from the Pittsburg Business Times: “Three years ago, you could go out in our parking lot, and there would be no cars,” said Donald J. Rossi, a local businessman and chairman of the Westmoreland County Airport Authority. “The only cars that might be there would be for the restaurant. Outside of that, there was no need for anybody to come here. We’ve changed an awful lot.”
Sound familiar? They are in a very similar situation being a secondary airport to a large primary airport in Pittsburgh, and had no service. What transformed this airport?
Making the difference
In February 2011, Spirit Airlines added service to Fort Lauderdale. Since then they have added Dallas, Orlando, and Myrtle Beach. In three years, from no passengers to 400,000. This can happen in Worcester with the entry of JetBlue, if we support the daily flights to Orlando and Fort Lauderdale starting November 7.
What caught my eye recently how Greyhound bus will be providing twice daily shuttle service from Pittsburgh to Arnold Palmer Airport. We are not at that point yet, but imagine a shuttle from Union Station to the airport.
As the first flight on JetBlue out of Worcester approaches, the sky is the limit.
Bill Randell is the President of Advantage Benefits, an insurance brokerage house specializing in employee benefits with an emphasis on health insurance, based in Worcester since 1992. He can be contacted at Bill@AdvantageBenefits.com or follow him on Twitter (@FlyORH).
- Bill Randell’s FlyORH: A JetBlue TrueBlue Member Speaks His Mind
- Bill Randell’s FlyORH: A Young Flyer Wants To Earn JetBlue Points
- Bill Randell’s FlyORH: Bring Allegiant Back to Worcester
- Bill Randell’s FlyORH: Fly JetBlue From Worcester To Bogotá?
- Bill Randell’s FlyORH: It’s Time To Rebrand ORH
- Bill Randell’s FlyORH: JetBlue Points Don’t Expire
- Bill Randell’s FlyORH: JetBlue Prices At ORH On Target
- Bill Randell’s FlyORH: JetBlue’s New TrueBlue Badge
- Bill Randell’s FlyORH: Let’s Get Professional With Worcester’s T1
- Bill Randell’s FlyORH: Massport Needs a Rewards Program
- Bill Randell’s FlyORH: Should We Buy JetBlue Points?
- Bill Randell’s FlyORH: What Worcester’s Airport Needs Right Now
- Bill Randell’s FlyORH: Your JetBlue “To Do” List
- FlyORH’s People On The Ground: Thrifty’s Ed Bresnahan
- FlyORH: Before Worcester Airport Access Road, Let’s Fix The Signs
- FlyORH: November 7 Is JetBlue Go Time
- FlyORH: Spotlight Worcester’s Attractions In Our Airport
- FlyORH: The JetBlue Inspiration For Worcester’s Airport
- FlyORH: The Secret to JetBlue Staying in Worcester
- FlyORH: Worcester Civic Leader Juan Gomez on JetBlue + Puerto Rico
- NEW: FlyORH Launches JetBlue Poster Contest