Labor Secretary to Meet Employers + Seekers at Worcester Job Fair
Thursday, April 17, 2014
Kaprielian will also be available to discuss the latest Massachusetts unemployment statistics. The event is expected to draw more than 80 employers and thousands of job seekers from across the Commonwealth. The Workforce Central Career Center will also hold workshops to aid job seekers.
The event, held at the DCU Center on Foster Street in Worcester, runs from 1 PM to 5 PM.
All job fair attendees on will be offered a buy one, get one free ticket offer for Friday's Worcester Sharks game versus the St. John’s IceCaps at 7:30 PM.
Related Slideshow: Pew Research: New England Employment Figures From FY2007 to FY2013
While unemployment figures receive more media attention, the employment rate is a preferred index for many economists because it provides a sharper picture of changes in the labor market. The unemployment rate, for example, fails to count workers who stopped looking for a job. By focusing on 25- to 54-year-olds, trends are less distorted by demographic effects such as older and younger workers’ choices regarding retirement or full-time education.
Below are the employment rates in FY2007 and FY2013 for New England states as referenced by the Pew Charitable Trust's "Fiscal 50: State Trends and Analysis" Report, ranked from best to worst.
- NEW: Central MA Unemployment Rate 7.3% in Feb, Above State Avg.
- Top 10 Highest Unemployment Rates in Central Mass
- NEW: Massachusetts Adds 8,100 jobs in March, Unemployment Down
- NEW: Commonwealth Adds Jobs, but Unemployment Goes Up
- Worcester Activists Fighting to Keep Unemployment Benefits Alive
- NEW: Unemployment Rates Down in Massachusetts; Largest Job Gains in Worcester
- NEW: MA Unemployment Rate Steady at 6.7 Percent
- Worcester Rep. Announces $10M For Massachusetts Youth Employment
- NEW: Unemployment Rates Drop Throughout the Commonwealth
- NEW: MA Unemployment Rate Up To 6.6 Percent in October
- NEW: MA Unemployment Up to 6.7 Percent in December
- NEW: Unemployment Up this Month in Central Mass; Down from a Year Ago
- CMass Residents Charged for Stealing $488,000 in Unemployment Fraud
- NEW: Worcester County Unemployment Down Slightly to 8.2 %
- NEW: Mass Adds Jobs, but Unemployment Rises
- GoLocalTV: McGovern and Keefe Head Community Forum on Unemployment
- NEW: Worcester Unemployment Dips in October
- MA Unemployment on the Rise as Benefits Dry Up
- North Central Mass Leads Region in Unemployment
- Massachusetts Employment Rates Rank Among Nation’s Best Since 2007
- Rob Horowitz: Restore Unemployment Benefits to Long-Term Unemployed
- NEW: Massachusetts Adds 2,800 Jobs But Unemployment Up To 7%