MA Has 18th Highest Tax Burden in U.S.
Tuesday, April 10, 2018
According to a recent study completed by WalletHub, Massachusetts has the 18th highest tax burden in the U.S.
“Unlike tax rates, which vary widely based on an individual’s circumstances, tax burden measures the proportion of total personal income that residents pay toward state and local taxes. And it isn’t uniform across the U.S., either,” said Wallethub.
MA By the Numbers
- 9.03% - Total Tax Burden
- 3.60% - Property Tax Burden
- 3.40% - Income Tax Burden
- 2.03% - Total Sales & Excise Tax Burden
Massachusetts ranks behind Wisconsin and Nebraska, who rank 16th and 17th respectively.
Massachusetts ranks ahead of Arkansas and New Mexico, who rank 19th and 20th overall.
The state with the highest tax burden is New York, while the state with the lowest is Alaska.
See the Rankings in the Map Below
In order to determine the states that tax their residents the most and least aggressively, WalletHub compared the 50 states across the following three tax burdens and added the results to obtain the overall tax burden for each state:
- Property Tax as a Share of Personal Income
- Individual Income Tax as a Share of Personal Income
- Total Sales & Excise Tax as a Share of Personal Income
- MA Ranked 34th in U.S. for Property Taxes
- Horowitz: Republican Heavyweights Advocate Carbon Tax
- Fecteau: Will Trump’s Tax Reform Plan be Another Epic Fail?
- See Where MA Ranks Amongst States With Highest Tax Burdens
- Horowitz: Trump Has It Backwards on Releasing His Taxes
- Smart Benefits: New Limits for Tax-Favored Health Plans
- Smart Benefits: 2.5 Million in Off-Marketplace Coverage Could be Eligible for Tax Credits
- Smart Benefits: Received an ACA Tax Bill? Look Twice Before Paying
- MA Ranks 27th in U.S. for Business Tax Climate
- Fecteau: Trump’s Taxes
- Fecteau: The Stupidity of Trumped-up Tax Cuts
- Smart Benefits: Beware the Taxable Fringe Benefit
- Sunday Political Brunch: Tax Reform - To Infinity And Beyond? - December 24, 2017
- McGovern Blasts Passage of Republican Tax Bill
- Smart Benefits: Should You Boost Benefits in Light of Tax Reform?
- Debt & Tax Collection are Top Scams in Massachusetts
- Fidelity Bank to Share Tax Reform Benefits with Employees, Clients, & Community
- Real-Estate Property Taxes by State - See Where MA Ranks
- Weiss: Medicare Takes a Blow Under GOP’s Major Tax Plan Fix
- Sunday Politcal Brunch: A Taxing Problem on Capitol Hill - December 3, 2017
- Robert Whitcomb: Worcester Wouldn’t Well for PawSox; Taxing Away the Little Guys? Racial Fire
- Sunday Political Brunch: A Taxing Problem—September 3, 2017
- Weiss: Aging Groups - House GOP Tax Rewrite a Turkey
- Horowitz: It’s Time to Revive the “Death” Tax