Merrimack Valley Sandbox to Hold First Ever Sandbox Summit
Thursday, June 06, 2013
It may be a little out of Central Mass, but for entrepreneurs looking to showcase and get noticed, it may be worth the trip to UMASS Lowell, where the Merrimack Valley Sandbox will hold its first-ever Sandbox Summit on Tuesday, June 11. Entrepreneurs, experts, and leaders from all around the country will convene for an all-day conference at UMass Lowell on “Re-Imagining Cities through Entrepreneurship.” More than 200 people are expected in attendance and together will examine the impact of entrepreneurship in their cities. The event lasts 8 am - 9 pm.
The conference will feature:
- Keynote addresses from Robin Chase (founder and former CEO of Zipcar) and Desh Deshpande (serial entrepreneur and co-founder of the Deshpande Foundation.
- Entrepreneur Showcase featuring more than 100 student and adult entrepreneurs presenting their innovative business and non- profit ideas.
- Winners Showdown Pitch Contest featuring some of the region’s top entrepreneurs squaring off for a $5,000 grand prize.
- Entrepreneurial experts from around the nation speaking about empowering student entrepreneurs, engaging community stakeholders, raising capital, and designing space/programs for entrepreneurs.
“All around the nation, entrepreneurship is having a big impact in cities,” says David Parker, executive director of the Sandbox. “The Sandbox Summit will celebrate the innovation happening in Lowell and Lawrence, as well as learn how other cities are being re-imagined through entrepreneurship.”
About Merrimack Valley Sandbox
The Sandbox started in December 2010 with the mission of boosting the economic and social well-being of greater Lowell and Lawrence by advancing entrepreneurship and innovation. The Sandbox has funded over 600 student and youth entrepreneurs, worked with over 300 adult entrepreneurs, and has over 30 community partners. Visit MVSandbox.org.
About the Deshpande Foundation
Gururaj (“Desh”) and Jaishree Deshpande have encouraged the use of entrepreneurship and innovation as catalysts for sustainable change in the United States, India and Canada since 1996. The foundation supports organizations that strengthen local ecosystems, build leaders and entrepreneurs and catalyze innovative thinking to accelerate creation of sustainable, scalable enterprises that have significant social or market impact. Visit DeshpandeFoundation.org.
For a full schedule and more information, visit MVSandbox.org/Summit2013.
- Clark Host Entrepreneurs Event Focuses on Failure and Resiliency
- Calling All Entrepreneurs
- MA Entrepreneurs Gear Up For Medical Marijuana “Green Rush”
- Report: Massachusetts Not Business Friendly for Entrepreneurs
- Worcester Local First’s Theriault Helps Entrepreneurs Get Started