NEW: Retailer Payless to Close All 2,300 U.S. Stores, Including 20 in Southern N.E.
Friday, February 15, 2019
The bankruptcy filing would be Payless’ second since April of 2017.
Payless was found in 1956 and employs nearly 18,00 people across the country.
According to Reuters, going-out-of-business sales could begin next week.
CNBC is reporting, "Shoppers didn't spend as much as expected this past holiday season. Holiday sales were up just 2.9 percent in 2018, the National Retail Federation said on Thursday, on the heels of the Commerce Department announcing retail sales for December fell 1.2 percent, the largest decline since September of 2009. NRF, the retail industry's trade organization, had been calling for 2018 holiday sales, those from Nov. 1 through Dec. 31, to rise between 4.3 and 4.8 percent."
Payless in MA
Payless has one location in Worcester, 20 locations in Southern New England and total of 18 locations in Massachusetts.
Payless closed 11 Massachusetts stores after the 2017 bankruptcy filing.
- MA Taxpayer Group Says Closing Loopholes Won’t Boost Revenues
- Worcester Community Agencies to Take Over for Closing Willis Center
- BLIZZARD UPDATE: Central MA School Closings Rolling In
- Monday Closings and Cancellations in Central MA
- Warren’s New Ad to “Make a Closing Argument to Voters”
- TUESDAY HURRICANE UPDATE: Closings, Outages + More
- BJ’s, Webster Bank and Shaws Announce Store Closings
- NEW: Art Openings + Closings This Weekend
- NEW: Central Mass Closings Continue to Roll In (Updated 5:30p.m.)
- NEW: Central MA School Closings and Early Dismissals
- BBB Gives Tips on Using Gift Cards Following The Announced Closing of Toys ‘R’ Us
- Smart Benefits: 4 Things to Know About Inclement Weather & Closing Policies
- EVO Closing – New Restaurant Coming
- NEW: Worcester and Area School Closings and Delays
- UPDATE: Mass Delays and Closings Due to Winter Storm - 11 PM
- NEW: Grossman Closing Gap on Coakley in MA Governor’s Race