Smart Benefits: 5 Ways to Boost Flu Shots Among Employees
Monday, October 29, 2018
If you want to encourage flu shots this season, here are some guidelines to follow to ensure optimal results.
- Provide Education: Explain why employees should get vaccinated, highlighting the severity of last year’s flu season. And be sure to combat common misconceptions about the flu shot, like that it will make an individual sick.
- Advertise Local Clinics: If you don’t plan to hold a clinic, identify and promote local opportunities for employees to get vaccinated at schools, hospitals, pharmacies or other facilities.
- Sponsor an Onsite Clinic: The convenience factor and seeing other workers get a shot can help boost participation so consider hosting a clinic at the workplace. If you don’t have an on-site health clinic, you can outsource to a pharmacy or private vendor.
- Offer Incentives: One way to boost vaccinations is to incentivize employees. If you hold an on-site clinic, serve refreshments. Or for those getting vaccinated elsewhere, consider awarding a gift card or health insurance premium rebate.
- Be Sensitive to All Workers. There are a number of reasons an individual may choose not to get a flu shot. So unless you work in an environment where they can be required, like healthcare, be aware of employees’ varying opinions about vaccination and don’t unduly pressure workers or you could risk impacting morale.