Smart Benefits: Five Steps to Managing Leave
Monday, March 26, 2018
So what’s the best way to manage leave to ensure compliance while optimizing productivity?
- Stay Informed. Federal, state and local laws spell out what companies must do in terms of leave. And the complexity of the rules, from tracking to notification, can be challenging. To ensure you’re meeting the requirements, be sure to stay abreast of the latest changes.
- Educate. From FMLA and disability to other types like bereavement leave, be sure to train managers and supervisors about leave-related requirements and ways to ensure eligible employees don’t abuse leave.
- Be Consistent. While leave requests can be very personal in nature, the policies can’t be. Be sure to outline clear, written policies and inform all employees of them. And enforce the policies consistently to ensure fair treatment of all employees.
- Empathize. In some cases, leave represents a very difficult time in an employee’s life. Even if their absence poses difficulties for the company, be sure to be supportive in order to elevate workplace morale.
- Fill the Gap. Ask employees to request leave in advance, when possible, and use the time to create a plan to cover employees’ job responsibilities when they’re out. That may mean reapportioning their responsibilities among other staff or hiring temporary workers.
- Smart Benefits: IRS Updates Guidance on Assessing 2015 Employer Penalties
- Smart Benefits: IRS Publishes Final ACA Forms for 2017
- Smart Benefits: Five Ways to Use FSA Funds—Before You Lose Them
- Smart Benefits: It’s Time to Review Your Harassment Prevention Policies
- Smart Benefits: Extended OSHA Deadline for 2016 Injury, Illness Reports Less Than a Week Away
- Smart Benefits: Affordable Care Act Open Enrollment - What You Need to Know
- Smart Benefits: New Benefits & Retirement Plan Limits Set for 2018
- Smart Benefits: Family Health Premiums Up 3% from Last Year, Survey Shows
- Smart Benefits: Brand Ambassadors Can Yield Big Results
- Smart Benefits: Imputed Income for Group Term Life Insurance
- Smart Benefits: ACA Numbers to Know for 2018
- Smart Benefits: Five HR Challenges for 2018
- Smart Benefits: Advance Form 5500 Available for 2017
- Smart Benefits: The Rise of AI
- Smart Benefits: What Drives Health Plan Satisfaction?
- Smart Benefits: What to Do if You Get a Shared Responsibility Letter
- Smart Benefits: How to Ready Your Org for the Gig Economy
- Smart Benefits: What Benefits Do Workers Want? More Financial Education
- Smart Benefits: Should You Boost Benefits in Light of Tax Reform?
- Smart Benefits: Harness Happiness for Increased Productivity
- Smart Benefits: Tips for a Healthy Workplace During Cold & Flu Season
- Smart Benefits: Should You Go Voluntary?
- Smart Benefits: Resolve to Help Employees Stick with Resolutions in 2018
- Smart Benefits: Increased Enforcement Means It’s Time to Get I-9s in Order
- Smart Benefits: Penalty Hikes for Workplace Law Violations Announced