Smart Benefits: Increased Enforcement Means It’s Time to Get I-9s in Order
Monday, January 22, 2018
A Comprehensive Strategy
ICE has developed a comprehensive strategy for worksite enforcement that incorporates three components:
Compliance through I-9 inspections and civil fines and referrals for debarment
Enforcement through the arrest of employers knowingly employing undocumented workers, and the arrest of unauthorized workers
Outreach to instill a culture of compliance and accountability
ICE indicates in the release that each investigation is unique so the final outcome for the employer and employees will vary in each case. For example, Asplundh Tree Experts Co. was recently ordered to pay $80 million, the largest judgment ever for unlawfully hiring and rehiring aliens ineligible to work in the US. The company is also paying an additional $15 million to settle civil claims.
The ICE news release states that employers who want assistance with ensuring compliance can apply for Department of Homeland Security certification through a program called IMAGE. The voluntary program provides education and training on proper hiring procedures, fraudulent document detection and the use of E-Verify employment eligibility verification to help reduce unauthorized employment and the use of fraudulent identity documents.
- Smart Benefits: Will Student Loan Repayment be the Next Big Benefit?
- Smart Benefits: Prepare for an I-9 Audit
- Smart Benefits: IRS Allowing 401(k) Loans for Hurricane Victims & Families
- Smart Benefits: Family Health Premiums Up 3% from Last Year, Survey Shows
- Smart Benefits: Brand Ambassadors Can Yield Big Results
- Smart Benefits: Keep Workers Safe in Weather Emergencies
- Smart Benefits: Ready for Open Enrollment?
- Smart Benefits: Expanding Leave is … Expanding
- Smart Benefits: Small Businesses Beware of Proper Worker Classification
- Smart Benefits: Boost Employee Engagement with 5 Questions
- Smart Benefits: New EEO-1 Report Now Due March 31, 2018
- Smart Benefits: Imputed Income for Group Term Life Insurance
- Smart Benefits: ACA Numbers to Know for 2018
- Smart Benefits: Five HR Challenges for 2018
- Smart Benefits: Extended OSHA Deadline for 2016 Injury, Illness Reports Less Than a Week Away
- Smart Benefits: Advance Form 5500 Available for 2017
- Smart Benefits: Tips for a Healthy Workplace During Cold & Flu Season
- Smart Benefits: Should You Go Voluntary?
- Smart Benefits: It’s Time to Review Your Harassment Prevention Policies
- Smart Benefits: Five Ways to Use FSA Funds—Before You Lose Them
- Smart Benefits: New Benefits & Retirement Plan Limits Set for 2018
- Smart Benefits: Affordable Care Act Open Enrollment - What You Need to Know
- Smart Benefits: IRS Publishes Final ACA Forms for 2017
- Smart Benefits: IRS Updates Guidance on Assessing 2015 Employer Penalties
- Smart Benefits: Resolve to Help Employees Stick with Resolutions in 2018