Smart Benefits: More Employers are Offering Telehealth – Should You?
Monday, December 17, 2018
Telemedicine allows employees to use communications technology to gain 24/7 access to a live doctor from their phone, laptop or tablet. The calls can be used for diagnosis, remote monitoring, prescription orders and lab orders for things like minor illnesses or chronic conditions. The benefits to employees? The care provided is:
- Convenient: Employees can easily consult with a doctor from anywhere – work, home or a vacation spot – and have a visual exam as well through the use of video.
- Immediate: Rather than driving long distances to seek care, waiting weeks for an appointment or spending long hours in a doctor’s office or walk-in, telemedicine appointments can happen immediately.
- Comprehensive: The doctor will review a member’s symptoms and develop a treatment plan. In case of emergency, the member will be advised where to see immediate care.
And the value to employers? Savings. By giving immediate access to a doctor, the hope is that employees will avoid more costly visits to an ER or urgent care center. The average cost of a virtual telemedicine visit is often sometimes even significantly less than a trip to the member’s primary care physician. Plus, by delivering services when patients need them, telehealth can improve outcomes to further reduce costs.
- Smart Benefits: Proposed Rule to Alleviate Reporting Burden on Large Businesses
- Smart Benefits: ACA Update - Continue to Comply
- Smart Benefits: 5 Steps to Open Enrollment Success
- Smart Benefits: With Stress Piling On, Employers Can Help Workers with Financial Wellness
- Smart Benefits: 2019 Commercial Health Insurance Rates Approved
- Smart Benefits: The Cost of Noncompliance With Workplace Laws
- Smart Benefits: Summary Annual Reports Due Sept. 30
- Smart Benefits: Form 5500 Due July 31
- Smart Benefits: Help Employees Understand Benefits in Three Steps
- Smart Benefits: Should You Surcharge?
- Smart Benefits: IRS Answers Questions About Paid Family & Medical Leave Credit
- Smart Benefits: Faith-Based Healthcare Sharing: an Option to Insurance?
- Smart Benefits: 4 Things to Know About Inclement Weather & Closing Policies
- Smart Benefits: Certain Wellness Program Incentive Limits Eliminated Jan 1
- Smart Benefits: With Holidays Underway, Keep Mental Health Top of Mind