Smart Benefits: With Holidays Underway, Keep Mental Health Top of Mind
Monday, November 05, 2018
To protect the wellbeing of your staff this time of the year, and your bottom line, here are five steps you can take:
- Watch for Signs: Train mangers and supervisor to know the warning signs of depression and how to raise the issue with employees.
- Talk: Encourage employees to speak to their boss or HR about their mental health concerns, and assure them that the information they share will be kept confidential.
- Provide Support: Ensure employees have the help they need by offering support such as guidance from HR on any mental health benefits, EAP or other services available to them.
- Be Flexible: If your company offers a flexible schedule, let the employee know that they can make adjustments if they need to in order to get symptoms under control.
- Focus on Health: Make sure the employees understand that you’re committed to helping them be healthy and, if they need to take some time off, show you value them by keeping in touch.
Just because an employee is going through a difficult time doesn’t mean they’re not capable of doing their job. And with the proper support and understanding from their employer, those suffering from mental health problems may even end up being a company’s most productive and dedicated workers.
- Smart Benefits: Should You Surcharge?
- Smart Benefits: Help Employees Understand Benefits in Three Steps
- Smart Benefits: IRS Answers Questions About Paid Family & Medical Leave Credit
- Smart Benefits: Summary Annual Reports Due Sept. 30
- Smart Benefits: The Cost of Noncompliance With Workplace Laws
- Smart Benefits: Form 5500 Due July 31
- Smart Benefits: When It Comes to Unpaid Summer Interns, Beware FLSA Rules
- Smart Benefits: How to Boost Productivity When Spring Fever Hits
- Smart Benefits: HSA Limits for 2019 Released
- Smart Benefits: Reminder - PCORI Fee Due July 31
- Smart Benefits: IRS Updates Employer Guidance for Fringe Benefits
- Smart Benefits: ACA Update - Continue to Comply
- Smart Benefits: Proposed Rule to Alleviate Reporting Burden on Large Businesses
- Smart Benefits: Survey Shows Annual Health Insurance Premiums Up 5%
- Smart Benefits: Share Value of Benefits with Total Compensation Statements
- Smart Benefits: The Role of Analytics in Employee Benefits
- Smart Benefits: Help Employees Maximize the Benefits of HSAs
- Smart Benefits: 5 Ways to Boost Flu Shots Among Employees
- Smart Benefits: 5 Steps to Open Enrollment Success