That’s Entertainment: Worcester’s Pop Culture Emporium
Friday, July 19, 2013
That’s Entertainment! has been a staple of entertainment in the city since 1980. From comic books and retro favorites to gaming systems and records, there is something to please everyone. The interior is literally an emporium of the crazy and arcane. Though their product lines range from all ends of the entertainment spectrum, retro comic books are the store’s biggest seller.
Evan Scola, the marketing manager at That’s Entertainment! has been with the company for 10 years, and saw it through the changeover to the digital age. He said that while other comic book stores are worried about online versions of comic books putting an end to the business, he doesn’t see it that way.
“We have to adapt our product lines,” he said of the changing times. “Ten years ago, we only offered 20 DVD’s and a lot of VHS.”
Also, Scola said that in this kind of business, you have to constantly adapt. When he started, they had a traditional mail newsletter that they sent to customers. Now, a lot of communication is done through e-newsletters and Facebook.
And while other forms of print media such as newspapers and magazines have felt the bite from digital replacement, the shift hasn't affected That's Entertainment's comic book sales yet, according to Scola. There is just something special about owning a comic book, he said.
“Some people might get apps on their Ipad to get into comic books, but then they want to own the book,” he said.
For more on That’s Entertainment!, visit them online, here, or in real (and comic) life at 244 Park Ave. or at their second location at 56 John Fitch Highway in Fitchburg.
- Worcester Small Business With Heart: Clark Community Thrift Store
- 50 Best Cities + Towns For Doing Business in Central MA
- New England’s Most Competitive States For Business—New Ranking
- Bringing Worcester Business Back To Life
- NEW: Massachusetts Named Top 20 State For Business–CNBC Study
- Worcester’s Family Businesses: Halloween Outlet
- NEW: MA Gets Better Grade in 2013 For Small Business Friendliness
- Worcester’s Family Businesses: Mill Street Motors
- Worcester’s Family Businesses: Sansoucy Stone
- Worcester’s Family Businesses: Worcester Airport Limousine Service
- Worcester’s New Business Incubator: Running Start