Warren Calls for Wells Fargo CEO Sloan to be Fired Following Revelations of Fraud
Saturday, February 23, 2019
This comes after a new report from Capitol Forum showed that starting in 2016, employees in the Wholesale Banking division of Wells Fargo "routinely falsified clients' signatures and otherwise doctored paperwork" in order to comply with a legal settlement with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) related to violations of anti-money laundering laws.
In a letter to the company, Warren wrote, "This latest report of Wells Fargo misconduct, if true, provides evidence the bank, under Mr. Sloan's leadership, failed to comply with anti-money laundering laws and then falsified documents to cover up non-compliance with a government order when the company got caught...The Federal Reserve should take no action to remove the growth cap until Wells Fargo replaces Mr. Sloan as CEO."
Fraud and Wells Fargo
In February 2018, the Federal Reserve Board of Governors imposed a growth restriction as part of a consent order that requires Wells Fargo to maintain total consolidated assets below the level it reported at the end of 2017.
The settlement requires Wells Fargo to "ensure senior management 's ongoing effectiveness in managing the Firm 's activities and related risks and promoting strong risk management across the Firm" as a condition for the Fed to lift the growth cap.
Sloan led the Wholesale Bank during the money laundering violations that were the subject of the OCC settlement.
Wells Fargo and 38 Studios
In 2016, Wells Fargo and Barclays Capital had to pay Rhode Island more than $25.6 million in settlement fees relating to 38 Studios.
As GoLocalProv reported, this agreement coupled with the previous agreements pushed the amount recovered to more than $40 million of more than $88 million in losses incurred by the State of Rhode Island in its failed investment in Curt Schilling’s 38 Studios gaming company.
- U.S. Senate Candidate Kingston Blasts Warren During Meet & Greet
- Warren Blasts Senate’s Effort to Deregulate Big Banks
- Diehl Blasts Senator Warren for “Failing New Bedford”
- Warren Voices Opposition to Haspel for CIA Director
- Senator Warren Warns of the Dangers of Deregulation in Speech at Georgetown
- Warren Blasts Equifax After Disclosure of 2 Million More Americans Affected by Data Breach
- GOP Challenger to Warren Raises $1 Million for Senate Bid
- Warren, Markey, Capuano Applaud Release of $100M in Federal Funding for Green Line Extension
- Warren Calls for Review of Education Dept’s Potential Misuse of Social Security Data
- Patriot Great Campaigns For Elizabeth Warren’s Opponent
- Sen. Warren Leads Congressional Delegation Trip to Puerto Rico
- Diehl Blasts Warren Over Army Futures Command Center
- Sen. Warren Urges Senate to Reject Kavanaugh’s Nomination
- Warren, Markey Applaud End of National Grid Lockout
- Sen. Warren Demands Answers About Collapse of Education Corporation of America
- VIDEO: Warren Calls on Trump, Republicans to End Government Shutdown
- Warren Questions Trump on Replacement of Dept. of Education Acting Inspector General
- Warren Questions Mar-a-Lago Members on Influence Over Dept. of Veterans Affairs
- Warren Calls for Investigation into Drug Manufacturers Alleged Price Fixing Schemes