Worcester’s Kinetic Batteries, LLC Receives $65K Grant for Innovation
Saturday, April 14, 2018
The money comes from grants distributed by Governor Charlie Baker for early-stage cleantech innovators.
“Central Massachusetts is a growing hub for the innovation and green economy. I am very proud to see Worcester’s own Kinetic Batteries recognized and awarded with this Catalyst grant to continue its great work,” said Senate President Harriette L. Chandler of Worcester.
The funding comes from The Massachusetts Clean Energy Center’s (MassCEC) Catalyst program and will support technical and commercial advancements for emerging clean energy technologies in North Oxford, Burlington, Worcester, Fall River, Cambridge, Lowell, and Arlington.
“Massachusetts is home to many hardworking entrepreneurs and researchers pursuing innovative clean energy solutions that will ensure the Commonwealth continues to lead the nation in energy efficiency. Through this funding, our administration is pleased to provide crucial support to these entrepreneurs as they contribute to the Commonwealth’s robust innovation economy while helping reduce greenhouse gas emissions and combat climate change,” said Baker.
MassCEC is funded by the Renewable Energy Trust, which was created by the Massachusetts Legislature in 1998.
Clean Energy in MA
According to the 2017 Massachusetts Clean Energy Industry Report, the clean energy sector in Massachusetts has grown 81 percent since 2010 and employs 109,226 workers across the state.
The Massachusetts clean energy sector is an $11.4 billion industry, representing 2.3 percent of the state’s overall economy.
According to the report, Massachusetts is No. 1 in the United States for per capita early-stage clean energy venture investment, beating out California.
Aclarity, LLC (North Oxford): An electrochemical water treatment device targeting the residential market that combats water quality issues at a competitive price
Boston Materials, LLC (Burlington): Development of a carbon fiber composite material that will enable the construction of lighter, larger, and more reliable wind turbine blades
Littoral Power Systems, Inc. (Fall River): A hydrokinetic energy device designed for low current applications
Takachar (Cambridge): A small-scale, decentralized biomass pre-processing system for use in agricultural or remote areas in developing economies
UMass Lowell (Lowell), Onur G. Apul, PhD: A microwave-based method for increasing biogas production at wastewater treatment facilities
Vata Verks (Arlington): An inexpensive water- and gas-usage measuring system to detect anomalies and leaks and enable sophisticated building energy management
- Baker Awards Grants to Fitchburg, Leominster Police to Fight Opioid Abuse
- Gov. Baker Awards Green Communities Designation Grants to Central MA Towns
- Baker Files Legislation to Increase Penalties for Assault of Police Officers
- Baker Administration Receives “C” Grade for Environmental Protection
- Baker Signs $290 Million Bill to Fund Transportation
- Robert Whitcomb: Raimondo’s No-Bid Contract, Gov. Baker’s MBTA, and Spring
- Baker Announces Two Judicial Nominations
- Warren Names Baker National Security Advisor for Washington DC Office
- Baker Releases Progress Report on Preschool Expansion Initiative
- Baker Announces 11 a.m. Start Time for Non-Emergency State Employees
- Baker, State Leaders Release Report on Criminal Justice Reform in MA
- Governor Baker Launches Tuition-Free College Program
- Gov. Baker to Hold Community Listening Session to Address Aging in MA
- Finneran: Baker’s Wise Words
- Baker Nominates Worcester Lawyer Ritter as Associate Justice of Superior Court
- Baker Announces Date for State of the Commonwealth Address
- Gov. Baker Delivers 3rd State of the Commonwealth Address
- Baker Files for $200 Million for Infrastructure Improvements Across MA
- Baker Announces $1 Million in Project Lead The Way Grants Are Available
- Baker Announces Creation of New Cybersecurity Center at Mass Tech Collaborative
- LePage “Crooner Cookie” at Crown Bakery to Benefit Safe Homes
- Markey & Baker: Eloquence on Alzheimers
- Baker Administration Sets 200 Megawatt-Hour Energy Storage Target
- Gov. Baker Establishes Latino Advisory Commission, Swears in Members
- Governor Baker to Give Commencement Address at Worcester State