Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: Farmer’s Pasta
Wednesday, November 30, 2016
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 4 oz. pancetta diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 portobello mushroom caps, sliced
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 5 new potatoes, unpeeled, each cut into 12 wedges
- 2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- 8 oz. penne (tube shapes pasta) or other cuts to choice
- ½ cup Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in large skillet or Dutch oven. Add chicken breast; cook over medium heat 4 to 6 minutes or until golden brown and juices run clear. Remove from skillet. Slice diagonally into ½ inch strips; set aside.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the same skillet. Add pancetta; cook over medium heat until brown, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook briefly. Add mushrooms; cook for 2 minutes.
Increase heat to high. Add wine; bring to a boil. Add broth, potatoes, bell peppers, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium –low; cover and simmer 5 minutes.
Remove cover; increase heat to medium-high. Add chicken and rosemary. Cook for 5 minutes until potatoes are tender and sauce is slightly thickened.
Meanwhile cook penne according to package directions. Drain penne; toss with sauce and cheese. Serve very hot.
Related Slideshow: Foodie Getaways in Massachusetts
Food lovers will love these destinations statewide for indulging your palate.
Vienna Historic Inn + Restaurant, Southbridge, MA
A feast for all your appetites. This historic inn is filled with old world charm, antiques, chandeliers & steins. Each room is adorned with soft music, ambience and uniqueness. You will be delighted with hard-to-find Austrian, German, Swiss, French as well local meats, seafood and vegan options. An extensive gluten-free menu available. The beer garden will be open through the end of the October.
Jewish Food Tour
Ahla Food Tours, Brookline, MA
Explore Jewish cuisine on this eye-opening 3-hour walking tour of historical Brookline and experience what TV Diner called a "fabulous Boston neighborhood tour!" and Jewish Advocate raved is "whetting the appetites of Jewish and non-Jewish diners alike". You'll taste authentic Jewish food - matzo ball soup, latkes, falafel, kosher wines, noodle kugel ice cream and dozens more. Hear unique anecdotes about the welcoming Brookline purveyors and savor the rich history of Jewish Brookline.
Blue Hills Brewery, Canton, MA
We're lucky in Massachusetts to have many microbreweries, large and small, for touring and tasting. But Blue Hills Brewery has combined its makes great tasting beers with a real educational imperative--an internship. A dream come true for beer lovers, candidates can vie for working with Blue Hills' Master Brewer Andris Veidis in a true apprenticeship. Not for the casual brewer. To learn more, check online, here. http://bluehillsbrewery.com/internship.php
Sweet Dessert Bar, Worcester, MA
A dessert lover's destination, Sweet was recently in the news for having challenged New York chef Dominique Ansel as laying claim to the invention of the cronut. Whether you're team Worcester or team NYC, enjoy Sweet's lounge chairs or sit at the bar, have a drink and watch as the chefs prepare a one of a kind dish for you. Not your average piece of cake, Sweet's appetizers and desserts are inspired by the freshest local ingredients, seasonal fruits, and artisan chocolates.
Old + New Dining
The Farm Table, Bernardston, MA
In the lush Pioneer Valley between Deerfield and the Vermont border, this remarkably restored 1800 farmhouse features cutting-edge green energy and the freshest local and regional foods seasonally available. Combine a delicious sojourn with holiday shopping at Kringle Candle and Kringle Christmas Barn.
Fried Clam Pilgrimage
Woodman's of Essex, Essex, MA
Keep summer alive year-round by making a pilgrimage to this institution that is counting down to its 100-year anniversary. Go for the fried clams, because that's what was invented here on July 3rd, 1916. Lawrence "Chubby" Woodman, at the humorous suggestion of a friend, fried up a few clams at his roadside stand in Essex, Massachusetts and the original fried clams were born.
East Dennis Oyster Farm, Cape Cod, MA
If you think oysters are a summer pleasure, you're right but you're wrong. Late October and November yield some of the best oysters, so consider bundling up and heading to the Cape for a tour of John and Stephanie Lowell's farm on the tidal flats off Quivett Neck. To make an appointment for a tour, go here.
Hit the Trail
Massachusetts Wine + Cheese Trail
A wine and cheese trail in Massachusetts? That’s right, the Bay State features 40 licensed wineries, producing wine from a collection of locally grown fruits – grapes, apples, cranberries, peaches, and blueberries – across, roughly, a total of 2,200-acres of wine farm land, where 439 acres are devoted exclusively to wine production. You can download a map and pick up the trail at any place, exploring small and pristine providers.
Wine in the City
City Wine Tours, Cambridge, MA
Want an urban oenophelia adventure? City Wine Tours is the perfect gateway to enjoying Boston's vibrant wine culture and best restaurants. Sip, savor, and explore as we take you on a walking tour through Boston's most historic neighborhoods, with stops at award-winning restaurants, luxury hotels and gourmet wine shops. Cheers.
A New Kind of Crawl
Dishcrawl Pioneer Valley, Springfield, MA
You love a pub crawl? How about a restaurant crawl? The foodies at Dishcrawl aim to provide you with Pioneer Valley's premier culinary social experience by bringing together neighborhood restaurants, local chefs, regional food producers and fellow food enthusiasts. Join for a one-of-a-kind gastronomic adventure! Check out next week's All Hallows Eve crawl in Amherst, MA.
- Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: Couscous With Spicy Seafood
- Chef Walter’s Flavors & Knowledge: Panzanella Salad
- Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: Spaghetti With Clams, Lemon & Parsley
- Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: Figs With Honey –Yogurt Cream
- Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: Porchetta With Raspberry Vinaigrette
- Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: Grilled Corn
- Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: Zucchini Flowers With Mozzarella & Anchovies
- Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: Spaghetti all’Amatriciana
- Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: Ginger Gelato on Brioche
- Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: Louisiana Barbecued Shrimp
- Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: Sfogliatelle Pastry
- Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: Roasted Squab With Figs and Porcini
- Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: A Plate for Amatrice Earthquake
- Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: Chocolate Hazelnut Napoleon
- Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: Rustic Country Bread
- Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: Pan-Seared Maple Venison
- Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: Black Beans & Chorizo Soup
- Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: Thanksgiving Herb-Roasted Turkey
- Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: Dandelion Salad & Anchovies
- Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: Cauliflowers With Golden Raisins
- Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: Strawberry Bavarois Cake
- Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: Bruschetta With Minted Zucchini
- Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: Chick Pea Minestra
- Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: Basque Piperade
- Chef Walter’s Flavors + Knowledge: Speck & Polenta Wraps