video: Congressman McGovern Praises Massachusetts for Efforts to Reduce Food Waste
Tuesday, May 17, 2016
“American consumers, businesses, and farms spend an estimated $218 billion per year growing, processing, transporting, and disposing of food that is never eaten. Up to 40 percent of all food grown is never eaten. Forty to fifty million tons of food is sent to landfills each year, plus another 10 million tons is left unharvested on farms. This food waste translates into approximately 387 billion calories of food that went unconsumed," said McGovern.
During the speech, McGovern recognized Massachusetts leaders and organizations like Food Bank of Western Massachusetts for helping to reduce for waste as part of the larger push to tackle hunger.
McGovern also thanked Becker College, College of the Holy Cross, Smith College, the University of Massachusetts Amherst and Worcester Polytechnic Institute for their work with the Campus Kitchen Project and the Food Recovery Network to provide hunger relief in their local communities through campus food recovery initiatives.
“Thankfully, there’s already a lot of great work being done to raise awareness about the problem of food waste. I’m pleased to see so many partners at every level of the food supply chain taking action to reduce food waste, but still, more needs to be done. Let’s solve the problem of food waste and let’s end hunger now," McGovern said.
See McGovern's Speech in the video below
- McGovern Honors Vietnam Vet Bob LaRose with Army Medals
- McGovern and Petty Release Statements on Worcester Shootings
- Congressman McGovern Visits and Reads to Local Webster Students
- Congressman McGovern Approves of $133 Million in Energy Assistance
- Congressman McGovern Names Chandler Chief of Staff
- Nancy Pelosi and Rep. McGovern To Hold Hunger Roundtable
- Is Mayoral Race a Precursor to Gaffney Challenging McGovern?
- McGovern Wants Residents to Have a Say in LPG Sites
- Railroad Owner Reacts to McGovern’s Safe Communities Act
- Congressman McGovern to Help Plant 14 Trees at Roosevelt School in Worcester
- McGovern Approves of Obama’s $1.1 Billion to Address Opioid Epidemic
- McGovern Leads Groundbreaking for New Bike Path in Worcester
- Governor Baker No on Syrian Refugees, McGovern Yes
- McGovern Forces Vote on Legislation to Keep Guns From Terrorists
- GoLocalWorcester: 1-on-1 with Cong. McGovern on Worcester Homelessness
- McGovern Blasts Republican Bill Forcing SNAP Recipients to Pass Drug Test
- McGovern Speaks on Overnight Stay at Homeless Shelter
- McGovern Meets With 2015 Congressional App Challenge Winners for MA
- Congressman McGovern Visits Worcester as Part of Affordable Housing Tour
- McGovern, Members of Congress Call For War Debate in Letter to Speaker Ryan
- 15 Who Made a Difference in 2015: Jim McGovern, U.S. Congressman
- McGovern Blasts House GOP Bill Taking Healthcare Away From 22 Million Americans
- McGovern to Host Central MA Muslim Community Leader at State of Union
- McGovern Calls Out Speaker Ryan Over Block Grant System
- Cong McGovern and Sen Warren Praise Collapse of Kinder Morgan’s Pipeline Plan