slides: New England’s Best Donuts
Friday, February 28, 2014
Restaurant ratings publication Zagat recently released 50 States, 50 Donuts, a list of each state's best donuts.
The list, hand-picked by Zagat, includes some traditional favorites, and some unique interpretations of the fried pastry.
See which donuts best represent Massachusetts -- and the New England states -- in the slides below.
Related Slideshow: New England’s State Donuts
North Kingstown, RI
Described as "Almost too big to be a morning snack," Allie's jelly sticks are available with a variety of toppings including Coconut, Sugar and Donut Sugar. Founded in 1968 by Frederick 'Allie" Briggs, Allie's Donuts is still family owned to this day, and remains an Ocean State favorite.
Established in 1945, this family-owned rstaurant has been a local--and tourist--favorite for generations. They have been featured on the Phantom Gourmet, and were voted one of America’s Best Doughnuts by Food & Wine Magazine in April 2012.
An Autumn treat that captures the essence of New England, Faddy's pumpkin donut is perfect for a dayof "leaf-peeping." Faddy's, established in 2005 also features an array of New England treats, such as kettle corn and ice cream, all made on location.
Located on Ocean Boulevard at New Hampshire's Hampton Beach, Blink's is a summertime favorite snack for locals and tourists alike. Their unique style (elongated, rectangular) and numerous topping options set this fried dough apart from the competition.
When most people think Vermont, they aslo think maple syrup... and for good reason. Vermont produces more maple syrup than any other state -- by a large margin. So, it makes perfect sense why the maple donut would be the choice pastry for the Green Mountain State.
- 10 Great Foodie Getaways in Massachusetts
- 13 Biggest Food Stories in Massachusetts in 2013
- Getting Out: The Worcester Food Truck Festival Returns
- In Case You Missed It: New England’s Best Food Towns
- Dunkin’ Donuts Iced Coffee Day Raises $160K+ for Hasbro Children’s
- The 25 Best Food Trucks In New England
- NEW: Dunkin’ Donuts Offers Free Coffee to Sox Fans with Mobile App
- Cronut Craze: NYC’s Hottest Food Invented in Worcester?
- NEW: Free Lunch at Dunkin’ Donuts This Friday
- NEW: Worcester’s Davis Advertising Lands Honey Dew Donuts