NEW: Worcester’s Wormtown Brewery Wins Denver Int’l Beer Award
Wednesday, April 16, 2014
In total, judges awarded a total of 108 medals in 41 style categories—one of which went to Wormtown Brewery for its Be Hoppy I.P.A. The weekend’s top prize was given to Nevada’s Joseph James Brewing Company for its Hop Box Imperial IPA.
For a full list of winners, go here.
Now in its fourth year, Wormtown Brewery is best known for its full-flavored American Ale, which uses Massachusetts grown ingredients. Last winter, Ben Roesch, Wormtown's brewer and founder, announced that the brewery would be relocating from its current Park Ave. location to a larger facility on Shrewsbury St.
The move, which is scheduled for June 2014, will help Wormtown more easily distribute its product throughout the entire state. The new space will also make tours, tastings, and other events available to customers.
For more information about Wormtown Brewery, go here.
Related Slideshow: The Breweries of Central Massachusetts
3 Beards Brewing Co.
Featured Beers: Cow Puncher IPA, Lumberjack Black Lager
3 Beards Beer Company allows undiscovered artisan brews from around the world to be locally brewed and freshly distributed. They focus on talented individuals who have the desire--but not necessarily the means--to share their creations with beer enthusiasts.
Banner Beer Company
Featured Beers: Banner American Ale, Banner American Rye
Banner Beer Company specializes in brewing beers that are below 5% ABV (Alcohol by Volume). The Logic: People with a motivated lifestyle want to enjoy the flavor of beer at night and wake up with a clear head in the morning.
Featured Beers: Seven Hills Pale Ale, Be Hoppy I.P.A., Turtle Boy Blueberry Ale, Hopulence - American Double I.P.A.
Created by Worcester-native Ben Roesch in 2010, Wormtown Brewery claims to be the the first and only brewery to use only Massachusetts-grown ingredients in every beer-- leading to one of their slogans: A taste of Mass in every glass.
Wachusett Brewing Company
Featured Beers: Green Monsta IPA, Blueberry Ale, Wachusett Country Pale Ale
Founded in 1994 by three WPI graduates, Wachusett released their first beer,Wachusett Country Pale Ale, 20 years ago after spending nearly a year perfecting the recipe. The three founders, Kevin Buckler, Ned LaFortune, and Petter Quinn designed and built most of the company's original equipment.
3cross Brewing Company
Featured Beers: TBA
Billed as a allow of bikes and beer, Worcester's newest brewery and taproom, 3Cross received its brewery license in February and pouring permit in March. They plan to open a facility on Cambridge Street in Worcester in April.
Kretschmann Brewing Co.
Featured Beers: Webster's Lake Ale, Copper Pot Ale
Though inspired by the brewers' Bohemian heritage, Kretschmann Brewing Co. ues locally sourced ingredients in their 13 different craft beers. While Kretschmann beers are not widely distributed, they can be found at many Central Mass restaurants and at their bottle shop in Webster.
Gardner Ale House
Featured Beers: Chair City Pale, Nightcrawler Black IPA
Gardner Ale House, established in 2006, is a full-menu brewpub in Gardner that offers at least six distinctive, house made brews at all times--and continues to develop new recipes.
Bay State Brewing
Featured Beers: Tripel Trap, Velvet Revolution, Time Traveler
Three guys with over 70 years of brewing knowledge comined forces in 2012 to "make beer better." Available at dozens of locations throughout Massachusetts, their newest brew, Tripel Tap, was featured at the 2014 Boston Beer Summit.
Jack’s Abby Brewing Co.
Featured Beers: Mass Rising, Hoponius Union, the ABCs
Founded by the three brothers, Jack, Eric, and Sam Hendler in 2011, Jack's Abby won several awards from RateBeer in 2014: Best Brewer in Massachusetts, Pale Lager (Gold), Bock, Strong Lager (Gold and Silver), Dark Lager (Silver). They also won several more awards in previous years.
Pioneer Brewing Co.
Featured Beers: Manifest Destiny Series (Into the Woods, Path of the Unknown, The New Frontier)
Founded in 2004, Pioneer Brewing Company is a tenant brewery of Rapscallion Brewery's Fiksdale location. Their signature brews, the Manifest Destiny Series, feature three beers of 9% ABV or more, are available at multiple locations in Central Mass, and now Boston.
- 5 Weekend Musts: Bubbles, Beer + More
- Getting Out: Best Place To Grab a Beer
- Opera and Beer: Why not?
- Beer + Wine Tasting For Greater Worcester Habitat For Humanity
- Getting Out: Where to Drink Craft Beer in Central Mass
- Red Sox Report: Big Papi Weighs In On Fried Chicken, Beer & Baseball
- Inside Guide: Why Worcester is Called Wormtown
- Best Beer Getaways in New England
- Holiday Shopping Guide 2013: Great Gifts for Beer Lovers
- Red Sox Update: Valentine Bans Beer and More
- Worcester’s Wormtown Brewery on the Move
- COLLEGE GUIDE: Best Places to Get a Beer
- How Much Beer Does Massachusetts Drink?
- Report: MA Beer Distributors Pump Nearly $900 Million into State Economy
- Wormtown Music to Celebrate 35th Anniversary at Ralph’s Rock Diner
- College Guide 2013: Best Places to Grab a Beer
- International Beer Festival Hits Worcester
- Todd Ruggere Drinks One Beer In Every MA Town—For Charity
- “The Festival” Brings Beers from Around the World to Worcester
- Don’t Miss: Beer Tasting + Bonfire at Fruitlands Museum
- Leonardo Angiulo: Recent Antitrust Lawsuit Protects Our Access to Beer
- 10 Getaways for Beer Lovers
- Eight Best Places to Grab a Beer in Central Mass.
- Massachusetts Beers Wins Big in US Open Beer Championships
- 30+ Breweries coming to 2nd Annual Craft Beer Festival
- Fall Wine and Beer Tasting to Benefit Girls Inc. of Worcester
- NEW: Travel + Leisure Names Providence #4 Beer City in America