The Cellar: Great Values From Spain + Portugal
Friday, February 22, 2013
Among the ones I sampled was this fantastic $10 gem from Herdade do Esporão – one of Portugal's leading privately held wine and olive oil companies. Their entry-level Monte Velho series is one of the best selling in all of Portugal and after having tasted a few of them I can see why.
At under $12 a bottle, the 2010 Monastrell (Mouvedre) from Bodegas Olivares represents a fantastic value. Alongside Alicante (featured a few weeks ago) Jumilla is one of the few places where Monastrell is the feature
This wine was awarded 91 points from famed wine critic Stephen Tanzer and praised for its candied dark fruit flavors, intensity and power. While not a 91-point wine in my book, this wine, which was aged for 6 months in French oak, does have certain pleasing attributes. Among them its signature acidic finish which balances the sweet, ripe dark fruits. I’d like some more depth, but still not bad for $12.
- The Cellar: Chianti + More
- The Cellar: Chilean Finds For Only $10
- The Cellar: Don’t Miss The 2013 Boston Wine Expo
- The Cellar: French Malbec + Gewürztraminer
- The Cellar: Pinot Grigio + Beaujolais
- The Cellar: Red Wines for Chilly Winter Nights
- The Cellar: Standout Wines From Mohegan Sun’s WineFest 2013