Arvizu: Yoga: Because it Takes a Village
Thursday, April 02, 2015
Becoming a mother is portrayed as this loving, beautiful experience, but without your village it can feel dark and depressing. Amy Davieau, like many first time moms, attended breastfeeding class, hired a doula and mentally and physically prepared for natural childbirth. “In hindsight,” Davieau shares, “I wish I spent more time building my village. When I finally admitted I needed more support, I felt more capable.”
Elizabeth Belliveau , MSW, LICSW of Enlightened Interventions explains that “yoga has an amazing propensity for supporting women in mind, body, and spirit through the pregnancy, birthing, and post-natal stages of family growth.” During pregnancy, yoga practice supports women turning inward and attuning to their own needs and that of their child. Yoga is also about fostering a community.
“When I work with pregnant clients,” Belliveau shares, “I talk about the importance of building a tribe, having a place where you inter-weave with others to both create and provide support and a place where you can safely transition through being both vulnerable and strong at given points.” When you belong to a village, sometimes you will be the strong one and sometimes you need to lean on someone else when it’s their turn to be strong. “Feeling connected,” Elizabeth adds, “builds resiliency for new moms, whether that connectedness is with themselves, their bodies, other women or with their baby.”
Prenatal and post-natal yoga classes are not just for yogi moms, they’re for all moms. Build your village, alleviate pain, strengthen your core, reduce your blood pressure and bond with your baby by attending a local yoga class.
Erin Arvizu is the owner of Wild Orchid Baby. If you need help exploring your birth options, stop by Wild Orchid Baby located at 490 Shrewsbury Street in Worcester and chat with local birth professionals and childbirth educators.
- Arvizu: 5 Ways to Make Your C-Section More Family Centered
- Arvizu: Do You Want Your Epidural Now?
- Arvizu: The Risks and Benefits of The Oral Glucose Tolerance Test
- Arvizu: Why Do Women Still Choose Home Birth?
- Arvizu: 3 Ways to Get Breastfeeding Off to a Good Start
- Arvizu: High Risk Pregnancy: A Beautiful Birth and Heartbreaking Loss
- Arvizu: Integrating Doulas Adds Value to Healthcare
- Arvizu: Massage Makes Pregnancy Better
- Arvizu: Should All Breech Babies Be C-Sections?
- Arvizu: All Parents and Babies Can Benefit From A Little Music Therapy