NEW: 2 Worcester Agencies Awarded MA Medical Society Grants
Tuesday, April 15, 2014
AIDS Project Worcester was awarded $25,000 to continue and expand testing for HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases. The agency, the primary AIDS service organization in Central Massachusetts and the second largest in New England, was awarded a grant of $32,000 in 2011 for the same purpose from the Foundation.
Girls, Inc., Worcester, received $10,000 to support the agency’s program, Promoting Healthy Lifestyles for At-Risk Girls, and its components, Fit Girls and Friendly PEERsuasian, aimed at improving the health of vulnerable low-and moderate-income girls in the city. In 2013, it was awarded $10,000 in support of the same programs.
The grants to the agencies were two of 12 totaling $196,500 made by the foundation for 2014 to agencies across the state to support health and medical services that address a variety of health and medical services, including HIV testing, training for rape crisis counselors, teen health services, violence prevention, and heath care for the uninsured and underinsured.
The Massachusetts Medical Society & Alliance Charitable Foundation is a supporting organization of the Massachusetts Medical Society, the statewide association of physicians, and works on behalf of physicians and their families to improve the health and well-being of people across the Commonwealth. It supports physician-led volunteer initiatives that provide free care to the uninsured and increased access to care for the underserved. More information on the MMS and Alliance Charitable Foundation may be found at http://www.mmsfoundation.org.
Related Slideshow: Top 20 Medicare Payment Recipients in Central MA
- NEW: Mass Medical Society Policy Opposes Youth Use of E-Cigarettes
- NEW: UMass Med Ranked #9 in Primary Care Education by U.S. News & World Report
- UMass Medical School Doctor Named to TIME’s Top 100
- NEW: Mass Medical Society Urges Parents to Learn About Child Sex Abuse
- NEW: UMass Med to Seek Taxable Tenants For Biotech Park
- UMass Medical School Ranked 5th in US for Primary Care
- NEW: Mass Medical Society Urges Residents to Get Vaccinated this Flu Season
- NEW: UMass Med’s New Sherman Center Earns Top Green Certification
- UMass Medicine Cancer Walk Begins 15th Year with Special Breakfast
- NEW: OCD Lecture and Support Groups Tonight at UMass Med School
- NEW: UMass Medical Establishes Endowed Chair in Biomedical Research
- WPI + UMass Medical Team Discover Breakthrough in Deadly Infection
- NEW: Patrick to Unveil $400 Million Biomed Facility at UMass Med School
- UMass Med Professor Portrays the Brain’s Functions as Art
- Worcester’s UMass Medical Researchers Get Grant for ALS Research
- Mass Medical Society Approves Of DPH Marijuana Regulations
- NEW: Top Dems Turn Out for UMass Med’s Sherman Center Opening
- UMass Med School Faculty Recognized as a Top Young Scientist in US
- Mass Medical Society: New Medical Marijuana Regulations “Raise Concerns”
- NEW: UMass Doctor Receives Top Award From Mass Medical Society
- UMass Med School Identifies Nicotine Withdrawal Symptom Origins
- McGovern to Deliver Commencement Address at UMass Medical School
- NEW: UMass Med Faculty Elected to Top Science Society
- UMass Medical Makes Finals in National Video Competition