UMass Memorial To Join Historic Cancer Prevention Study
Monday, June 10, 2013
The Cancer Prevention Study-3 (CPS-3) is a grassroots effort where individuals from across the country can support cancer research not just through fundraising efforts, but also by participating actively in this historic research study.
The American Cancer Society’s Epidemiology Research Program is inviting men and women between the ages of 30 and 65 years who have never personally been diagnosed with cancer to join the study. The ultimate goal is to enroll at least 300,000 adults from various racial/ethnic backgrounds from across the U.S. The purpose of CPS-3 is to better understand the lifestyle, behavioral, environmental and genetic factors that cause or prevent cancer and to ultimately eliminate cancer as a major health problem for this and future generations. Worcester's UMass Memorial Medical Center will be enrolling potential participants on Wednesday, June 19, 2013.
Want to get involved?
Participation is easy and enrollment is available at your workplace. Your initial enrollment requires two steps and will involve the following:
After scheduling your enrollment appointment, you will receive a confirmation e-mail with instructions to go online and complete your first, most comprehensive survey. This survey will ask you questions regarding medications you are taking, family history of cancer, lifestyle and other behaviors. This survey should be completed prior to your appointment time.
At your appointment, you will be asked to sign an informed consent form, complete a brief survey, as well as provide a waist circumference measurement and a small blood sample (similar to a doctor’s visit). The blood sample will be taken by a certified, trained phlebotomist. Your appointment should last approximately 20 - 30 minutes.
UMass Memorial Medical Center – University Campus
55 Lake Avenue North
Worcester, MA 01655
Click here for driving directions.
Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 11:00 am – 3:30 pm (ACC Building – Conquering Disease Suite)
Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 11:00 am - 3:30 pm (Medical School - New Medical School Lobby)
Following enrollment, you will periodically receive mailed surveys at home every few years to update your information. You will also receive annual study newsletters to update you on research taking place in the Cancer Prevention Studies.
Confidentiality is of the upmost importance to the researchers involved, and they will make every effort to protect the privacy of study participants. There are multiple procedures in place to safeguard personal information that is collected. All personal information and any individual results of blood analyses that may be performed will be kept strictly confidential by American Cancer Society research staff. There will be no cost to you to participate.
For more information about CPS-3, please visit www.cancer.org/cps3 or email email@example.com or call toll-free 1.888.604.5888.
- Cancer-Causing Chemicals Used By Mass. Companies On The Decline
- Women Leading in Central MA: Cancer Activist Audrey Kurlan-Marcy
- Women Leading in Central Mass.: Cancer Crusader Corrie Painter
- Cancer Society: Look Good, Feel Better at Worcester Public Library
- Doherty Boys Volleyball Raises Money for Breast Cancer Research
- Harr Motor Group Donates $25,000 for UMass Cancer Walk
- How Central Mass Can Help Fight Cancer
- NEW: Abby Kelley Foster Students Raise Money for Brain Cancer Victim
- NEW: Bay State Saving Banks Promoting Breast Cancer Awareness
- NEW: UMass Memorial To Hold Free Seminar On Coping With Cancer
- Northbridge Lacrosse Raises over $1,000 for Cancer Research
- YMCA Helps Cancer Survivors Reach their Holistic Health Goals