10 Organizing Tips for Reducing Your Holiday Stress
Wednesday, December 12, 2012
Here are my top 10 tips to reduce stress during the holidays:
1. Plan ahead.
Stop running around like a chicken with your head cut off. Think about writing out meals plans, food shopping lists, gift lists, etc. Don’t save everything for the last minute.
2. Utilize a calendar.
Write everything down so you don't forget important appointments. Keep track of appointments and events. Schedule your workouts and shopping trips. Make an appointment to do your laundry, ironing and housework.
3. Clear the mental clutter.
Mental clutter and disorganization is a distraction. Mental clutter will cause stress, anxiety, and will make you feel overwhelmed. Get everything out of your head and onto paper or into your electronics.
4. Start writing shopping lists.
Try to limit trips to the market to once a week. Do you really want to be stuck in traffic this time of year? Make one trip to the market, reduce your stress, save time, money, and gas.
5. Break up tasks.
Don't try to tackle everything all at once.
Whatever you can prepare ahead of time, start preparing now. If you have guests coming, prepare your home now, organize. Buy what you can for food and baking.
7. Don't forget to take care of yourself.
Take an exercise class or go for a silent walk with no music. After you do this, you will feel rejuvenated, you will see things clearer and will be more mindful!
8. Declutter your home.
You want to feel at peace, relaxed, and comfortable in your home. Delcutter and reduce your stress level.
9. Keep running to-do lists.
You will feel a sense of accomplishment when you cross items off the list.
Working with your hands will clear the mind. Organize a drawer when you are stressed and think about how you feel when you are finished.
Trying a few of these tips will reduce your stress and allow you to focus on the more important things in your life. Being organized will give you more free time to enjoy and focus on the events of the season.
- Family Matters: 12 October Crafts
- Family Matters: 12 Ways to Help Hurricane Sandy Victims
- DESIGN LINE: Best Paint Colors For Interiors
- DESIGN LINE: Fall Fabric Trends
- College Admissions: 10 Extra-Curriculars That Colleges Notice
- DESIGN LINE: Framing Dos + Don’ts For Every Room
- College Admissions: 10 Scholarships Anyone Can Apply For
- College Admissions: 10 Western Colleges Worth a Summer Road Trip
- Family Matters: 10 Ways Kids Can Play All by Themselves