5 Weekend Musts: Cars of Summer + More
Friday, July 05, 2013
Cars of Summer, Worcester
Friday-Sunday The Cars of Summer Classic Car Show returns to Worcester this weekend at the beautiful setting of Green Hill Park, with hot rods, street rods, antique, classic, retro, exotic, and specialty cars on display. Serious car enthusiasts of all ages will enjoy these models along with the live antique auto auction and car corral, but don’t forget to bring the whole family–this car show has something for everyone, with a DJ and live bands, “kid zone” entertainment, a food court, hot air balloon rides, raffles, and of course, Green Hill Park itself! Make sure to check out the park’s 18 hole golf course, ponds, zoo, handball courts, and playground while you admire some seriously stunning cars.
7am – 7pm. Green Hill Park, Green Hill Parkway. $10 one-day spectator pass. Children under 12, free with paid adult admission. Visit www.carsofsummer.com for more info, or call 508-832-7007.
“Outside the Wire”, Fitchburg
Saturday Come see this play featuring Fitchburg State students and alumni before it heads for a prestigious national theater festival in Washington D.C. later this month! In Outside the Wire, Jimi Stanton and recent Fitchburg State graduate Daniel Marcum explore the profound ways in which returning soldiers and their families are affected by war, in tribute to Stanton’s brother, Army Staff Sgt. David Stanton. Check out rising Fitchburg theater talent as they portray some hard-hitting social issues inspired by the return of Stanton’s brother to the U.S. after deployments to Iran and Afghanistan, and the way that his homecoming greatly impacted the entire family;
StarCityGames.com Open Series, Worcester
Saturday 8am-11 pm, Sunday 8am-11:30pm. DCU Center, 50 Foster St. $40 entry. For more info, please see their website.
REC Community Farmer’s Market, Worcester
Saturday A great summer weekend wouldn’t be complete without a trip to your local farmer’s market! Support your community by buying fresh, local fruits and vegetables–you’ll definitely get inspired to make a creative, healthy, and delicious dinner with all the incredible ingredients you find! Browse the crafts vendors, enjoy live music and art, and entertain the little ones with free kid’s activities. This farmer’s market is sponsored by the Hungry Free and Healthy Project, The Health Foundation of Central Massachusetts, Telegram & Gazette, YMCA, Bay State Savings Bank, Mass to Motion, and others.
10am–2pm. YMCA Central Branch Family Park, 104 Murray Ave. Visit www.Recworcester.org for more info.
Free Summer at the WAM, Worcester
Saturday As part of the Worcester Art Museum’s “Free Summer” free and fun activities, this Saturday will offer a special free celebration as the EcoTarium visits the WAM! For a star, hop on a “zip tour” at noon with a talented museum docent for a fast-paced view of the incredible Georgia O’Keeffe legacy. Families will love spending together on a 10:30 am discovery tour of the museum galleries, with fun facts and stories provided by a docent for 30 minutes. Follow your tour by making art with each other from 11-11:30 am, with materials provided by the museum. Who said only kids get to play?
10am-5pm. Worcester Art Museum, 55 Salisbury St. Full schedule of events can be found here.
- Ten Things You Don’t Know About Worcester Art Museum
- Worcester Art Museum’s Waschek Moves Aggressively Into New Era
- Enjoy an Antique Car Show with your WOO Card
- Trender: Worcester Art Museum Director: Matthias Waschek
- Earth Day Bulb Swap at Pawtucket Farmer’s Market
- Worcester Art Museum Awards Five Kinnicutt Grants to Worcester Residents
- Farmer’s Markets Expand To Urban Neighborhoods
- Worcester Art Museum Celebrating the 60’s
- NEW: Higgins Armory to Close, Transfer Collection to Worcester Art Museum
- Worcester Art Museum Hosts Rosenstock Book
- NEW: Worcester Art Museum Awarded Grant to Restore Famous Portraits
- Worcester Art Museum Rolls Out Spring Lineup
- NEW: Worcester Art Museum Names New Director of Development
- Worcester Art Museum to Host World-Wide Comic Competition
- NEW: Worcester Art Museum to Host Former White House Chief Photographer
- Worcester Art Museum’s Gay Wedding Promotion Provokes Catholics