slides: 6 Ways to Celebrate May in Central MA
Friday, April 25, 2014
The weather has begun to cooperate, and the rainy season seems to be at its end.
We now await the end of the school year, and the dog days of the summer...
In the meantime, here are six fun ways to celebrate May in Central Massachusetts.
Related Slideshow: 6 Ways to Celebrate May in Central MA
From May 13 - May 18, Main Steet in Brimfield is the site of the largest outdoor antique show in New England. Antiques from all price ranges are offered by over 5000 dealers from all over United States. Spread over more than 60 acres, dealers come from all over the world as do visitors. The Show is a Mecca for serious and casual collectors of all kinds of antiques.
The Quinebaug Valley Council for the Arts and Humanities (QVCAH) celebrates the birth of spring with their annual May Day Festival on Saturday, May 3 at noon in Southbridge. Enjoy a day of family fun with live music and dancing with Riverbend & Friends, Arts & Crafts Faire, May Pole Dancing, May Queen Pageant, Food and Beer & Wine Garden, puppet show , roving fiddlers and much more! Admission is free.
Although May is sold out, you will want to call right away to get tickets for June, July or August. Salem Cross Inn and the Stageloft Repertory Theater present a Murder Mystery Dinner theater dining event, "FLOWER POWER and the HIPPIE REVOLUTION." This evening is filled with music, flowers, a celebration of a time gone by, and an opportunity to solve a murder. A lovefest filled with love and one hateful person who must be brought to justice. Join us and find out!! (Costumes of the period are encouraged, but not required. Purchase tickets in advance.
On Sunday, May 4 from 2-3:30 step back in time with a traditional High Tea served at the Willard House and Clock Museum in Grafton. Guests will be served in the beautiful main gallery of the museum, and may tour other galleries, especially decorated to capture the sights and scents of early spring. Part of the museum’s collection of period dresses and hats will also be on display for the event. There is a fee and admission to this special event is by reservation only.
The EcoTarium's major fundraising event for 2014, A night at the Museum will be held on Saturday, May 17 from 6 to 10 p.m. The Ecotarium bills it as a fun night of mystery and surprises with a S.T.E.A.M. punk flare! See how the EcoTarium comes to life at night with visits by historical figures, animal encounters, moonlight train rides, and more. Plus enjoy cocktails, hors d'oeuvres, dinner, music by the Dale LePage Trio, and silent and live auctions during this very special, gala evening.Tickets are $125 per person, $1,000 for tables of 8 people.
On Sunday, May 11 from 2:00 PM-3:30 PM, Hanover Theatre for the Performing Arts presents Steamboat Bill Jr., a 1928 feature-length comedy silent film featuring Buster Keaton. Clark Wilson accompanies the film with live music on the Mighty Wurlitzer before the show! Keaton stars as William Canfield, Jr., a Boston collegian who returns to his deep-southern roots to reunite with his father, a crusty riverboat captain (Ernest Torrence) who is engaged in a bitter rivalry with a riverboat king, coincidentally, the father of Willie's sweetheart.
- 12 Valentine’s Day Events in Central Mass
- DON’T MISS: Veterans Day Events in Central MA 2013
- July Meteor Showers + More Astronomical Events
- Worcester’s Most Memorable Events
- 28 Best November Events In New England: Fairs, Festivals + More
- Fall Preview: The 20 Best Fall Events in Central Massachusetts
- Memorial Day Events in Central Mass
- 30 Years of Events at the DCU Center
- GETTING OUT: Best St. Patrick’s Day Events in Central Mass
- NEW: Sporting Events Postponed Throughout Central Mass
- 6 Great Upcoming Comedy Events in Central Massachusetts
- Getting Out: 10 Great Events for a Rainy Day
- QCC’s International Honor Society Plans Holiday Charity Events
- 6 Martin Luther King Jr. Day Events in Central Mass
- Getting Out: New England’s Best Thanksgiving Events
- Six Weekend Events To Check Out
- Central MA Holiday Events for the Naughty and Nice
- GoLocalTV: Huge Weekend of Events on Tap for Central Mass
- Spring is Coming: 25 Great New England Events
- Central Massachusetts 2013 Holiday Events for the Naughty and Nice
- Great Halloween Events in Central Mass. + Beyond
- Ten Days Since Boston Bombings: Ten Key Events
- Clark’s Strassler Center Announces Fall Events
- Guide To Fourth of July Events In Central Mass.
- Veterans Day Events in Central MA 2012