slides: 7 Family Fun Activities for April Vacation
Friday, April 18, 2014
Bay State kids are on school vacation next week, and thank goodness for all these great activities to keep them—and you—sane, happy, and even entertained.
Check them out below.
Related Slideshow: 7 Family Fun Activities for April Vacation
Old Sturbridge Village
Old Sturbridge Village April School Vacation Family Fun Package
Enjoy a family getaway in Sturbridge this April vacation. Available for check in April 18-27, 2014. Visit Sturbridge Village during April School Vacation Week to meet baby animals, churn butter, make a hands-on craft, and watch some family-friendly performances, including storytelling, music, and puppet shows. This package includes two days of admission to the Village, two hands-on crafts for the kids, one night's stay at the Reeder Family Lodges, and cookies and cocoa with Village-made redware mugs for you to keep. This package starts at $139. For more information, click here.
April Vacation Cooking Classes at Saltbox Farm
Saltbox Farm in Concord, MA is offering hour hands-on cooking classes for kids ages 7 and older. Taught by professional chefs, kids will learn basic knife skills and kitchen safety and prepare healthful versions of kids’ favorites including chicken stir-fry, dessert squares and pasta. Most importantly, your kids will have a blast! Classes will be held April 22nd, 23rd and 24th from 11:00 am - 1:00 pm at Saltbox Farm. Each class will feature a different menu. Cost is $75.00 per class. Through catering, cooking classes, and a CSA, Saltbox Farm serves as a resource for locally grown food and culinary education for home cooks and enthusiasts. For more information, click here.
Educational Fun for Families at Fruitlands Museum
At Fruitlands Museum in Harvard, MA, explore your New England heritage and enjoy a different Museum collection Monday 4/21 - Friday 4/25 at 10. Fruitlands is closed on Tuesdays. Hands-on craft activities, interactive gallery stations, and a spring time nature scavenger hunt insure a fun and educational week for families with children ages 3 and up. Free with admission. For more information, click here.
EcoTarium’s Close Encounters of the Wild Kind!
When school's out, the EcoTarium in Worcester is the place to be. Get up close to nature with hands-on activities designed to get kids outdoors and exploring the EcoTarium's ponds, meadows, and woods. Learn about vernal pools and discover who lives in them, collect samples of cool pond and insect life, investigate the secret lives of wildlife through camera traps and tracking, and see the tools needed to become a naturalist. Free with museum admission. For more information, click here.
Roger Williams Zoo
Roger Williams Zoo, Party for the Planet!
This April vacation, don’t miss out on a party as big and green as the Earth itself at Roger Williams Zoo in Cranston, RI! This year’s theme is “Sustainability.” Each day will include environmental education, awareness and suggested action items to help sustain a healthier environment and lifestyle, and more. Event runs from April 21-25 from 11am-3pm each day, and is free with Zoo admission. For more information, click here.
Lowell's Kids Week
Lowell’s April Play-cation
The city of Lowell, MA is rolling out the red carpet for kids during April vacation with access to fun, inter-generational experiences. Enjoy the free, unique activities for kids and families during Lowell Kids Week. Your City Saturdays give kids the chance to hang out with park rangers, and creatively explore the varied history of Lowell through story, song, and arts & crafts. All families with kids ages 3-8 are invited to attend! There is a full schedule of vacation week activities. For more information, click here.
April School Vacation Days at Wachusett Meadow
Come spend your vacation with Wachusett Meadow Wildlife Sanctuary in Princeton, MA on Tues. 4/22 through Friday 4/25 and explore what is happening there in spring. How does spring affect the fields and forests? Who is up and about or back from the south? Play games, hike, do craft activities and spend lots of time outdoors. Choose to come 1, 2, 3 or all 4 days. Each day will have a different theme. For more information, click here.
- 5 Great Spring Walks in Central Mass.
- Getting Out: 10 Spectacular Holiday Light Displays
- Getting Out: Best Halloween Bar Parties in Central MA 2013
- Getting Out: New England’s Best Snow Tubing Spots
- Spring is Coming: 25 Great New England Events
- Getting Out: 10 Ways To Beat the Post-Holiday Blues
- Getting Out: Best Place To Grab a Beer
- Getting Out: New England’s Best Thanksgiving Events
- Getting Out: 10 Delicious Wine Getaways
- Getting Out: 10 Ways To Celebrate Mardi Gras in New England
- Getting Out: Great Places for Easter Brunch
- Getting Out: Spring Break Without Breaking Your Budget
- Getting Out: 10 Fun Winter Activites in MA
- Getting Out: 10 Ways To Get In on the Olympic Action
- Getting Out: Best Places for Yoga + More
- Getting Out: 10 Great Activities for $20 or Less
- Getting Out: 10 Ways to Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in New England
- Getting Out: Best Pumpkin Patches in Central MA
- Getting Out: 10 Great Events for a Rainy Day
- Getting Out: 10 Ways to Thaw out in New England
- Getting Out: Black Friday Shopping Hit List
- Getting Out: 10 Great New England Golf Courses + Mini Golf Spots
- Getting Out: 14 Shopping Getaways For The Holiday Season
- Getting Out: Franklin County Cider Days
- 10 Great Spring Bike Rides in Central Mass.
- Getting Out: 10 Great Spa Days in Central Mass
- Getting Out: Best Fall Bike Rides
- Getting Out: New England’s 10 Best Bike Trails