City of Worcester Calling for Artists for Main Street Reimagined Project
Thursday, June 14, 2018
“As we continue to make our downtown a lively and walkable 18-hour destination, public art will be a major component of our strategy. This project is a great opportunity for local and regional artists to help make visual and functional enhancements to Main Street,” said City Manager Edward M. Augustus Jr.
The deadline for submission is Friday, July 13 at 10 a.m.
The project seeks to incorporate both functional and decorative art at locations throughout the mile-long corridor.
The City seeks proposals for five different categories of installations: artistic screening, lighting installation, activity nodes, benches and bicycle racks.
This Request for Proposals (RFP) is open to all artists, artist teams, and design professionals with experience in public art and monumental features.
Professionals residing in or with studio space in the City of Worcester and the New England region are encouraged to apply.
Related Slideshow: 25 Things to Look Forward to in New England This Summer - 2018
The Burlington Discover Jazz Festival
The Burlington Discover Jazz Festival takes place from June 1 to June 10 in downtown Burlington, Vermont.
This 10 day celebration features four stages with free live music from Leslie Odom Jr. and more. The festival also will feature local food and much more.
For more information, click here.
Taking a Cruise on a Windjammer
Head to Maine and sleep aboard a National Landmark, the Maine Windjammer Fleet.
Go on a three, four or six-day cruise and get closer than ever before to wildlife like whales, eagles, and porpoises while you see some of the best coastal scenery that North America has to offer.
After a successful first festival, the PVDFest returns to Providence for the third year and will take place from June 7 to June 10.
The festival will bring in art, music, performances and more from all over the United States and the world for the free outdoor festival.
Catching a Worcester Bravehearts Game
Year after year, the Worcester Bravehearts are one of the best baseball teams in New England.
They bring in some of the best college talent from across the region to compete for the Futures League Championship.
Don't miss a game.
Visiting Cape Playhouse Theatre
Taking a ride to Cape Cod and visit the oldest summer theatre in the country, Cape Playhouse. Cape Playhouse was first opened in 1927 by Raymond Moore.
The theatre has been home to some of the biggest stars to ever grace a stage like Bette Davis, Humphrey Bogart amongst others.
Enjoying the South County Hot Air Balloon Fest
There is nothing quite like the Hot Air Ballon Fest. This is the place to enjoy glowing hot air balloons, crafts, music, food, fishing, carnival rides, fireworks, and more.
The festival will be held from July 20-22 on the URI athletic fields.
Participating in the Worcester World Cup 2018
The 2017 Worcester World Cup is set to take place from Friday, August 10 to Sunday, August 12.
The Worcester World Cup is more than a soccer tournament. It's a celebration of Worcester and a safe, friendly family event that people look forward to all year.
Newport Jazz Festival
The 2018 festival is set to take place from Friday, August 3 to Sunday, August 5.
The festival will show off over 50 individual jazz ensembles on four stages including performances at the International Tennis Hall of Fame and Fort Adams State Park.
Seeing a Movie at the Rustic Drive-In
Look forward to Calling up your friends, pack a picnic, and sit in your car as feature films are projected on giant outdoor screens.
The audio plays right through your radio, so be sure to turn the volume up high as you snack on your candy and popcorn.
Zip Lining in the Berkshires
Looking for something new and exciting? Head to the Berkshires and get yourself on a zip line, maybe even do a canopy tour.
There are three different tour options, starting with the base area tour which lasts an hour or the Moutain Top or Valley Jump tour which takes three hours. Both of those are sure to shoot some adrenaline into your day.
The Little League World Series
While the Little League World Series does not take place in New England, the series is arguably the marquee sporting event of the summer.
There will be a New England team in it this year and therefore, the Little League World Series is always something to look forward to
Catching a PawSox Game at McCoy
Nothing says summer time like sitting at McCoy Stadium and watching a Pawtucket Red Sox game.
While the PawSox are already in action, the weather is getting warmer and it will be much more comfortable to go out to a game.
Billy Joel at Fenway Park
For the 5th consecutive year, rock and roll legend Billy Joel will play Fenway Park.
Billy Joel released his first hit song, arguably still his biggest hit, Piano Man in 1973 and since then has become the 6th best-selling recording artist and the third best-selling solo artist in the United States.
Joel was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1992 and then the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1999.
- Worcester Art Museum Set to Host Winter Classes
- Worcester Art Museum to Trace Trajectory of Cyanotype in Major U.S. Exhibition
- 10 to Watch in 2016: Joe Bafaro Jr., Worcester Art Museum
- Worcester Art Museum to Host Flora in Winter From January 28-31
- Worcester Art Museum to Host Workshops For Kids During February Break
- Worcester Art Museum Names Bafaro Jr. President of Board
- First U.S. Exhibition of Cyanotype to Be Held at Worcester Art Museum
- Star Wars Day Coming to Worcester Art Museum
- Worcester Art Museum to Host Hassan Hajjaj: My Rock Stars Exhibition this Fall
- Worcester Arts Council Announces MCC Gold Star to N-CITE
- Worcester Art Museum to Bring Back “Free August” Program
- Worcester Art Museum to Host Interactive Public Art Performance Titled “Organic Concept”
- Worcester Art Museum Names Earley Director of Advancement
- Worcester Art Museum to Offer Free Admission in August
- Worcester Art Museum Announces Newest Exhibit Titled “Exploring the Myths of James Dye”
- 50 People to Become US Citizens in Ceremony at Worcester Art Museum
- Worcester Art Museum to Host Four Major Exhibitions Starting in May
- 50 Central MA Residents to Become US Citizens in Ceremony at Worcester Art Museum
- Worcester Art Museum Announces Cats-in-Residence Program
- Worcester Art Museum Medieval Holiday Celebration
- Worcester Art Museum Opening Exhibit Focused on Artist Emberley
- Worcester Art Museum Names Gibbs President of Board of Trustees
- Worcester Art Museum Names Whitner Director of Curatorial Affairs