Clark To Host Expert on Filmmaker Pedro Almodóvar
Wednesday, October 23, 2013
What does this post-Franco Spanish director have to say specifically to Latin America and how has he been received there? One of the foremost scholars in Hispanic cultural studies will be at Clark University to discuss this very question.
Smith will lecture on “Almodóvar In/And Latin America” on Monday, October 28th, at 5pm, at the Higgins Lounge at Dana Commons, on the Clark University campus.
Paul Julian Smith
Paul Julian Smith is one of the foremost scholars in Hispanic cultural studies, particularly known for his work on Spanish and Mexican film. A professor at Cambridge University from 1991-2010, he was elected to the British Academy in 2008 and was appointed Distinguished Professor at the CUNY Graduate School in 2010.
Smith's many books include “Writing in the Margin” (Oxford, 1988), “The Moderns: Time, Space, and Subjectivity in Contemporary Spanish Culture” (Oxford, 2000), “Desire Unlimited: The Cinema of Pedro Almodóvar” (Verso, 1994 and 2000), “Contemporary Spanish Culture: TV, Fashion, Art, and Film” (Polity, 2003), Spanish Visual Culture: Cinema, Television, Internet (Manchester, 2007), and Spanish Practices: Literature, Cinema, Television (Oxford: Legenda, 2012).
This lecture was organized by the Henry J. Leir Chair in Foreign Languages and Cultures.
For more information, call 508-793-7234.
- Central MA College Standout: Clark’s Jeremy Levine
- Central MA Up + Comer: Clark University MBA Student Abigail Donahue
- Clark Alumni Association Selects Arlington Teacher for OSEA
- Clark Grad Student Wins “Summer Of Maps” Fellowship
- Clark Hands Out Over 1,000 Degrees At Commencement
- Clark LEEP Students Intern at Providence’s WaterFire
- Clark MBA Program Named 17th In Worldwide Sustainability Ranking
- Clark Named in Princeton Review’s Guide to Top ‘Green Colleges’
- Clark Poll Says Parents Miss College-Bound Kids Too Much
- Clark Scholar’s New Book Guides Teachers in Collaborative Learning
- Clark Students Present Policy Ideas to Conservation Society
- Clark To Host Expert on Filmmaker Pedro Almodóvar
- Clark To Host International Conference on Sustainable Consumption
- Clark University Honors Local Neighborhood Leader
- Clark University Named To Princeton Review’s Best Business Schools
- Clark University Professor Advises Air Force on Military Marriages
- Clark University Students Hold Walk for Marathon Victims
- Clark’s ‘Framing Freedom’ Series Features Jazz Ambassadors
- Clark’s Haiti Tragedy: Professor Comes Home + Remembrances Planned
- Clark’s Strassler Center Announces Fall Events
- Conference on Empowering Girls This Weekend At Clark University
- Holy Cross, Clark + WPI Named Top Colleges by Forbes
- Parents + Grown Kids Talk Nearly Every Day Says Clark Poll
- Worcester Small Business With Heart: Clark Community Thrift Store
- Worcester’s Clark University Named To New Best Colleges Ranking