Condit: Behind the Scenes with Roger McGuinn
Friday, May 22, 2015
Luckily for all of us, we have the opportunity to spend An Evening with Roger McGuinn on Thursday, June 11 at The Hanover Theatre for the Performing Arts, when he takes us on a journey of his music, connected by his personal stories. McGuinn’s song list is so long and robust that I was curious which is his favorite to perform. Without hesitation, he responded that “Turn, Turn, Turn” is the tune that really resonates for him because of the tune and message, but the thrill of their first number one hit cannot be denied. He vividly remembers living off one cheeseburger a day until the Byrds’ first commercial hit with “Mr. Tambourine Man.” (I also think it’s funny that David Crosby told him he didn’t like the song when he first heard it!)
In addition to being enormously successful and talented, I am also struck by how humble and genuinely nice McGuinn is. He loves touring around with his wife, Camilla, and she writes a great blog about their adventures on the road. It’s full of pictures, funny accounts of where they’re going, and sweet insights into their relationship. For someone who claims that writing isn’t their strong suit, Camilla’s accounts are engaging, funny and insightful. If you check out her blog, you’ll see why her husband likes reading them and reliving some of their sweet memories together. Roger and Camilla McGuinn’s escapades read like a real-life love story. A good example is when Camilla chronicles their European tour in one of her Roadie Reports and how “Get To You” kept playing in her head. “It is a song about a journey to get to a person loved. We love our journeys,” she writes. I can see why they’ve been married for over 40 years!
I’ll admit that McGuinn’s songs have always had a special place in my music memories. After speaking to him, I can’t wait to hear even more of his stories and songs! It’s not every day that we have the opportunity to see a Rock n’ Roll Hall of Famer and overall superstar perform, and it’s even more rare to get the chance to really learn about the backstories for all the songs. To hear the full interview with Roger McGuinn before his performance on June 11, tune in to Behind the Scenes with The Hanover Theatre, airing on WCRN AM830 this Saturday from 1-2pm. There are still some greats seats left for his show in Worcester, available online at thehanovertheatre.org.
- Condit: The Hanover Theatre Celebrates Its Birthday with Founders Tours
- Condit: Cooperation and Good Will for a Great Cause with Dancing Pros: Live!
- Condit: Take Your Passion and Make It Happen!
- Condit: Camelot: Fresh Take on King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table
- Condit: Behind the Scenes with The Hanover Theatre
- Condit: Provocative Pink Martini Mixes with Young Professionals
- Condit: What’s a Food Hub, and What Does it Have to do with Theatre?
- Condit: Audition Notice for Role in Production of Camelot at The Hanover Theatre
- Condit: The Hanover Theatre Announces Season Full of Broadway Smash Hits
- Condit: Leadership Tips from the Improv Experts
- Condit: What do Wanda Sykes and my Two Best Friends Have in Common?
- Condit: Frank Carroll’s Mission to Help Feed the Hungry Continues
- Condit: Theatre Brings TV Favorites to Life for Young Audiences
- Condit: Classic Fun for All, Live and In Color!