Condit: What’s Going on the Wall?
Sunday, September 06, 2015
When I first met Damien, he was accompanied by Che Anderson from the City Manager’s office. Che’s enthusiasm for both the artist and the project is contagious. I asked Che how he found Damien, and what set him apart from some of the other mural artists.
“As a world traveler, and an individual that has lived on three continents, Damien Mitchell truly understands and embodies the motto of the Public Art Working Group (PAWG): Make Art Everywhere. Not only has he created beautiful works from Wagga Wagga, Australia to Brooklyn, New York, but he has completed them as a humble and genuine person lobbying for social change, hoping to empower the voiceless,” according to Che Anderson.
The City of Worcester Public Art Working Group (PAWG) is made up of local citizens and art lovers who are committed to supporting public art initiatives in the City of Worcester, and Damien’s mural is part of the group’s plan to establish Worcester as a cultural hub within both the region and the world. “Murals provide a voice for people, as they tend to spark conversations, unite communities and provide something aesthetically pleasing for passersby. In keeping with these ideals, PAWG is actively pursuing more opportunities to enhance, engage and enliven the city,” explains Che.
It is obvious that Che is a fan of Damien both personally and professionally, and it’s easy to understand why. If you have the chance, check out his work in progress. Rest assured that you’ll enjoy talking with Damien if he’s on the ground, and if he’s up on the lift, you’ll witness the magic as it’s created! Feel free to take pictures and share your excitement with others as great artistic things continue to take place here, in New England’s second largest city. If you’re a public artist and want to get involved in PAWG’s initiatives, please contact the city’s cultural office so that we can “Make Art Everywhere.”
- Condit: Behind the Scenes with Roger McGuinn
- Condit: Leadership Tips from the Improv Experts
- Condit: History Comes Alive Through Theatre Tales and Tours
- Condit: The Annual Volunteer Appreciation Dinner
- Condit: Camelot: Fresh Take on King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table
- Condit: What do Wanda Sykes and my Two Best Friends Have in Common?
- Condit: Audition Notice for Role in Production of Camelot at The Hanover Theatre
- Condit: The Hanover Theatre Announces Season Full of Broadway Smash Hits
- Condit: Theatre Brings TV Favorites to Life for Young Audiences
- Condit: Provocative Pink Martini Mixes with Young Professionals
- Condit: Have Some Fun and Share the Love!
- Condit: Q&A with The Hanover Theatre’s CEO and President
- Condit: John Mulaney at the Hanover Theatre
- Condit: The Words of E.L. Doctorow Live On
- Condit: Membership Month at the Hanover Theatre
- Condit: Dave Chappelle Live In Concert
- Condit: Membership Has Its Privileges!
- Condit: Passion, Love and Abundance with Deepak Chopra, MD
- Condit: Pressure, Preparation, and Positivity as Ingredients for Success
- Condit: Plan Ahead for Family Bonding
- Condit: Auditions at The Hanover Theatre for A Christmas Carol and The Nutcracker