Famed Boston Symphony Harpist To Appear At Holy Cross
Wednesday, October 02, 2013
Hobson Pilot will join the the Holy Cross Chamber Players in a concert on Thursday, October 3, 8 p.m., as part of the music department’s fall music schedule. Additional performers will be Carol Lieberman, violin and viola, associate professor of music and director of the Holy Cross Chamber players, Linda Bento-Rei, ﬂutist, and harpsichordist Mark Kroll.
“Performing with such an extraordinary harpist as Ann Hobson Pilot is incredibly exciting,” said Lieberman. “We have always enjoyed playing chamber music together and we look forward to many more concerts in the future.”
Ann Hobson Pilot
Pilot has had an extensive solo career internationally, and recently received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Boston Musicians Association. Her new video documentary “A Harpist’s Legacy – Ann Hobson Pilot and the Sound of Change” profiles her inspirational life and musical career as a gifted African American women triumphing over barriers of race and color, and will air on PBS nationwide in 2014.
The program will highlight the talents of the four players with selections from the works of Kalabis, “Sonata for Violin and Harpsichord”; Saint-Saëns, “Fantasie for Harp and Violin”; Piazolla, “Tangos for Flute and Harp”; and Debussy, “Sonata for Flute, Viola and Harp”. The performance is free, open to the public, and handicap accessible.
Holy Cross Chamber Players
Lieberman has garnered critical acclaim for her violin and viola repertoire in the 19th to 21st centuries, and is recognized as one of the nation’s leading exponents of Baroque violin performances. Bento-Rei frequently performs in chamber music programs and orchestral programs, including recent performances with the Worcester Symphony Orchestra, the Portland Symphony Orchestra, and the Rhode Island Philharmonic; she co-founded the Flutists’ Guild, a non-profit organization dedicated to serving the New England flute community, in 2004. Kroll, through a career spanning four decades, has been named as one of the world’s leading harpsichordists and fortepianists and has appeared with some of the world’s major orchestras, including the Philadelphia Symphony and the Boston Symphony.
For more information about any of the performances in the Chamber Players Series, call the Holy Cross music department at (508) 793-2296, or visit the department’s website.
- Acclaimed Author Anne Fadiman Will Address Holy Cross Commencement
- Bryant edges Holy Cross in season opener
- CNN’s Soledad O’Brien To Deliver Lecture At Holy Cross
- Condom Controversy at BC: Could it Happen at Holy Cross?
- Former Holy Cross coach retires
- Holy Cross AD search underway
- Holy Cross Alums/Filmmakers Bring Indie Film “Detour” to Worcester
- Holy Cross Athlete Arrested For Posting Movie Theater Shooting Threats
- Holy Cross Freshmen Ranked 7th Happiest in US
- Holy Cross Hoops At A Crossroads
- Holy Cross Produces Record Number of Fulbright Scholars
- Holy Cross Professor Leah Hager Cohen Makes Oprah Book of the Week
- Holy Cross Students Launch Development Center In Peru
- Holy Cross to Present Ibsen’s “The Wild Duck”
- Holy Cross, Clark + WPI Named Top Colleges by Forbes
- NEW: Former Holy Cross Star Kaftan Named a March Madness Great
- NEW: Holy Cross Athletic Director Richard Regan, Jr. Steps Down
- NEW: Holy Cross Named a “Most Loved College”
- NEW: Holy Cross Names Local Attorney as General Counsel
- NEW: Holy Cross Student Held on $1 Million Bond for Movie Theater Shooting Threats
- NEW: Holy Cross to Host Archivists’ 40th Anniversary With StoryCorps