Family Matters: 12 Ways to Keep Kids Busy Over Break
Friday, December 16, 2011
1. Play with toys. Pick one from our Top 10 Favorite Toys for Kids. (Free / Cheap)
2. Host a crafternoon. Have kids (and parent) bring a shoebox filled with stickers, magazines, ribbons, rubber stamps, glue sticks and scissors. (Crafty ideas: Make books, paper bead necklaces, collage bookmarks, puppets, treasure box, and more.) (Free / Cheap)
4. Book a Rhode Trip. Visit a new library with your children. (Free / Cheap)
5. Animal Power. See what the animals are doing this time of year at Roger Williams Park Zoo. (half-price admission)*
6. Snow Fun. Read the Biggest, Best Snowman; then if we are lucky enough to have snow outside, build the biggest, best snowman ever. Find more winter book ideas here. (Free / Cheap)
7. Explore your city. Hop on a bus just for the fun of it, take a stroll through Federal Hill and have hot cocoa at Pastiche, play at Providence Children's Museum, or discover a new park/playground.
8. All aboard. Take the commuter train to Boston. Plan a trip to the Museum of Science or Museum of Fine Arts in Boston to see the latest exhibit or check out the regular collection.
9. Watch a classic. Check out old movies or TV shows from your local library or rent from ACME Video on Brook Street in Providence. Stay in your PJs all day, eat popcorn and watch Red Balloon, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Singing in the Rain, The Muppets or Charlie Chaplin. (Free / Cheap)
10. Building Blocks. Build a castle, city or rocket ship using all of your Legos. (Free / Cheap)
11. Take a hike. Bundle up and head out on a winter hike. Explore a wildlife refuge. If we get snow, try it with snowshoes. (Free / Cheap)
12. Make free time. Set up a playdate swap with a friend. (Free / Cheap)
* Get passes from the library.
- Family Matters: Snowmen Outdoors & In
- Family Matters: Apple Picking, Recipes + More
- Family Matters: Top 10 Toys That Don’t Cost a Penny
- Family Matters: Holiday Films The Kids Will Love
- Family Matters: Great Books for Kids
- Family Matters: Lego Parties & Other Creative Kid Projects
- Family Matters: Making Home Libraries & More