Former Boston Drummer Jim Masdea Rocks the Alex and Ani Lounge
Saturday, July 14, 2018
Masdea was the original drummer for the band, leaving in 1976 just before their first, self-titled album was released. Masdea later returned to the band in the 1980s.
These days, Masdea is still performing, playing a combination of Boston songs and originals in a show he calls “Trimount: Before Boston.”
Along with Dirty Laundry, Masdea will perform at Ralph’s Rock Diner in Worcester on Sunday, July 15 at 8 p.m. He describes the show as a sort of lecture, where he will tell the story of Boston and how it came to be, with musical performances threaded throughout the evening.
For more information on the show or to buy tickets in advance, visit Jim’s website.
Performing in the Alex and Ani Lounge on Friday, Masdea chose two of his own songs, as well as the Boston classic, Rock and Roll Band, which he arranged and played drums for on the original recording.
Masdea’s mammoth drum kit, comprised of 25 pieces in total, features 13 cymbals and an impressive array of drums. Given to him as a promotional gift when he represented Sabian in the 1980’s, Masdea says the massive set allows him more freedom to enjoy himself when he plays.
“I could make it work with just a snare, bass, and one cymbal,” he said. “but what fun would that be?”
Related Slideshow: 10 Great Things to do in Worcester This Weekend - July 13, 2018
Jazz at Sunset Featuring Nathan Williams
The Theatre District Alliance, presents Jazz at Sunset, featuring Nathan Williams and the Zydeco Cha Chas. The area behind the theatre will be transformed into an outdoor, picnic-style concert venue to include food trucks, cash bars and Theatre District Alliance exhibits promoting the various businesses and cultural organizations in the neighborhood.
Gates open at 6 p.m.
Digital Photography with Richard Hoyer at Worcester Public Library
Learn the basic functions of your digital camera or iPhone and how to take better photos. The class will introduce students to camera functions like aperture, shutter speed, and ISO.
Improving and sharing your photos with editing programs and apps will also be covered.
The event begins at 2 p.m.
Ben Wickey's "House of Seven Gables" at Franklin Street
Ben Wickey will host a screening of 2 of his own animated shorts - "The House of Seven Gables" based on Nathaniel Hawthorne's famous novel, and "Homecoming" based on a short story by Ray Bradbury.
He will also be available for Q&A
The Charlotte's Web Experience at Old Sturbridge Village
Old Sturbridge Village is set to present The Charlotte’s Web Experience.
The 50-minute play is held outdoors adjacent to the Freeman Farm, a working farm that raises sheep, cattle, pigs, and chickens, and where costumed historians and farmers demonstrate the daily life of a New Englander in the 1830s.
Jim Masdea's Trimount: Before Boston Show at Ralph's Rock Diner
Jim Masdea, the original drummer of the rock band Boston, will play some of the band's biggest hits, as well as, his own songs at Ralph's.
Masdea is the co-founder of Trimount.
The concert begins at 7 p.m.
Popcorn Sermon #3: Force of Evil at Museum of Russian Icons
In the last two of this four-program series, film columnist
JoAnn DiVerdi shines a light on four classic American films to reveal how
symbols of Christian faith and stories of Christ have been recreated in ways
that we may not recognize at first, but that have much to do with why they
resonate with us to this very day.
Worcester Bravehearts vs North Shore Navigators at Fitton Field
After a two-game road trip, the Bravehearts return to Fitton Field to host the North Shore Navigators on Sunday.
The Bravehearts are currently 20-14 on the season.
Game time is set for 4 p.m.
Yoga at the Sprinkler Factory
The Sunday morning class is a Hatha Yoga inspired class. It is accessible for students new to Yoga, while the more seasoned Yogi may find the slower, meditative pace to be the challenge.
Please bring your mats, towels, water bottle and props-if needed.
The session begins at 9:30 a.m.
- Assumption Students to Perform The Music Man at Hanover Theatre
- 1st Annual Make Music Worcester to Debut in June
- Clark Associate Professor Aylward Awarded Fellowship for Music Composition
- Worcester Chamber Music Society to Celebrate Neighborhood Strings With a Fiesta
- Central MA Bluegrass and Ragtime Musician Zack Slik Performs
- Music Worcester Announces 2017 Young Artist Competitions
- Worcester Chamber Music Society to Play Music of Beethoven in Two Concerts
- Chamber of Music Concert Celebrating the Trumpet, Flute & Piano Set for Dec. 11
- Worcester Man Threatens Neighbor With Rifle for Playing Loud Music
- Worcester Chamber Music Society to Host Cafe Concert
- Live Music Review: Giuliano D’Orazio
- Worcester Chamber Music Society to Host Chamberfest Concert Series at Clark
- Roadhouse Strangers to Release Debut Album, Play at Cannery Music Hall
- Worcester Chamber Music Society to Host Christmas Concert
- Pakachoag Music School to Honor Veterans With Recital
- Music Worcester Announces Schedule of Performances for April
- Newport Jazz Festival Artists Set to Perform Music From Other Countries
- Mechanics Hall to Host Free, Week-Long Music Festival
- Worcester Chamber Music Society to Perform “On Fire” at Congregational Church in Grafton