Honee Hess to Receive ArtsWorcester Award
Monday, September 01, 2014
Among her accomplishments and efforts, Hess has served as Director of Education for the Worcester Art Museum, co-founded Art All-State and kept the program in Worcester for over 25 years, and served two decades as a board member of First Night Worcester. Additionally, Hess runs the Art Committee for Family Health's Art in the City, belongs to the MLK Jr. Community Breakfast/Black History Committee, and has served on the boards of Centro Las Americas, the Worcester Cultural Coalition, Elm Park School, and Family Health Center.
At the Worcester Center for Crafts, she is developing a vision for education in the visual arts that includes fine art craft, and has partnered extensively throughout the community. She has supported ArtsWorcester since it was the Cultural Assembly of Greater Worcester.
Hess will be honored at ArtWorcester’s Annual meeting, which will be held on Friday, September 12th, at 6:00 pm at 660 Main Street. The meeting is open to the public and free, with the opening of ArtsWorcester’s first exhibitions of the season to follow. Free parking is available in the lots belonging to the Freemasons, at Ionic and Beacon Street (do not park in the gravel lot across the street).
Related Slideshow: 7 Art Galleries To Visit In Central MA
55 Salisbury Street, Worcester
The Worcester Art Museum, often referred to by its acronym WAM, is the most acclaimed cultural attraction in the city of Worcester. The world famous "classic American museum" contains over 35,000 pieces of artwork spanning over 5,000 years. Currently on display is [remastered]: A reinstallation of the Worcester Art Museum's paintings from the 16th-18th centuries provides a new look at Old Masters.
25 Sagamore Road, Worcester
The Worcester Center for Crafts’ Krikorian Gallery, in conjunction with Worcester State University, is committed to "sustaining craft as a vital part our community" through education, advocacy, and entrepreneurship. They are currently holding its Holiday Festival of Crafts 2013 this weekend.
25 Merriam Parkway, Fitchburg
The Fitchburg Art Museum is one of the cultural treasures of North Central Massachusetts. Though not quite as famous as its cousin to the south, the Worcester Art Museum, the Fitchburg museum still houses an impressive permanent collection of art spanning 5,000 years. Check out their current exhibition: Still Life Lives! - A celebration of the vitality of the still life tradition and its themes of beauty, bounty, darkness, fragility, and fleeting moments, which runs through January 14.
38 Harlow Street, Worcester
The Sprinkler Factory is a unique gem in Downtown Worcester and a true center for all the arts. Once a manufacturing plant, the Sprinkler Factory now provides space for individual artists to form their own studios and contains areas for music, dance, and other fun activities. The massive atrium on the second floor in the middle of the complex is available for local artists to show their work. The public is welcome to browse the artists' studios and galleries. An upcoming exhibition entitled Indoor Games , runs from December 7 through January 25, captures the spirit of creativity during the winter months.
960 Main Street, Fitchburg
Since its opening in 2008 by founders by Ann and Peter Capodagli, the Boulder Art Gallery has been committed to showing original and vintage paintings, photographs, prints and sculptures from the region's most talented artists. A true variety of work from both new and established artists is on display in a multitude of mediums and styles; check out oils, acrylics, watercolors and pastels. Many pieces are also available for purchase.
660 Main Street; 657 Main Street, Worcester
The Aurora Gallery and the “GArtH” Gallery of Art at the Hadley are run by the organization ArtsWorcester, and both show the work of local artists, many of whom are members of the group. For a list of current and upcoming exhibits, click here and here.
44 Portland Street, Worcester
Since its founding in 2006, the Davis Art Gallery has made it its mission to promote the Worcester art community and create awareness of the local creative culture. One of the ways the gallery does this is by showing the work of local artists in a great variety of different mediums. Currently, you can see an exhibit by Emily and Robb Sandagata; Unearthed, which runs through February 7th.
- Leading in Central Ma: Worcester Center for Crafts’ Honee A. Hess
- Leominster’s Dana Lane: Combining Art and Business
- Don’t Miss: 15th Annual ArtsWorcester Biennial Exhibition
- NEW: ArtsWorcester Announces New Material Needs Grant Recipients
- Webster’s Linda Littleton: Teaching and Creating Art for Others
- ArtsWorcester Receives $7,500 Donation From Anonymous Benefactor
- ArtsWorcester Receives $14,400 for Artist Professional Education
- Architecture and Furniture are Art at New ArtsWorcester Exhibit
- NEW: Anonymous Benefactor Donates $5,000 to ArtsWorcester
- New exhibit to open at ArtsWorcester gallery
- NEW: Tina Zlody named recipient of ArtsWorcester Annual Award
- ArtsWorcester Hosting Two Exciting Exhibits
- ‘Quiet Focus’ Exhibit Brings Unique Photography to ArtsWorcester
- NEW: Vaillancourt Folk Art Celebrates Fall Season with Open House
- Catch Art on the Line With Your WOO Card
- NEW: Worcester Art Museum Names New Director of Development
- Ten Things You Don’t Know About Worcester Art Museum
- NEW: Worcester Art Museum Awarded Grant to Restore Famous Portraits
- Worcester Art Museum Rolls Out Spring Lineup
- NEW: Higgins Armory to Close, Transfer Collection to Worcester Art Museum
- Worcester Art Museum Awards Five Kinnicutt Grants to Worcester Residents
- Worcester Art Museum Celebrating the 60’s
- Worcester Art Museum to Host World-Wide Comic Competition
- NEW: Worcester Art Museum to Host Former White House Chief Photographer
- Trender: Worcester Art Museum Director: Matthias Waschek
- Worcester Art Museum Hosts Rosenstock Book
- Newport Art Museum Launches Book Club
- Murder Mystery Returns to Newport Art Museum
- RI Photographer Susan Duca Opens Exhibit at Newport Art Museum
- Worcester Hosts Global Exhibit - The Art of Disobedience
- Don’t Miss: The Sprinkler Factory’s Xmas Art Bazaar on Dec. 15
- DON’T MISS: Flora in Winter at Worcester Art Museum
- DON’T MISS: Knights! Arms + Armor Exhibit at Worcester Art Museum
- Artist Tory Fair to Speak At Worcester Art Museum
- Gallery of African Art Appoints New Director
- DON’T MISS: Worcester Art Museum’s ‘Holidays at WAM 2013’
- Culture Vulture: Making Magic—The Art of Gary Lippincott
- Worcester Art Museum to Celebrate Batman Day
- Worcester Art Museum’s Knight Rides “Armor Wrapped” WRTA Bus
- Worcester Art Museum to Present Portraits by William Hogarth
- Worcester Art Museum Announces Free Admission During August
- Sturbridge Village to Host Music & Art Weekend
- Worcester Art Museum Launches Arms & Armor Demonstrations
- 7 Art Galleries To Visit In Central MA
- Worcester State University to Present Faculty Art Exhibit
- 5 Central Mass. Weekend Musts: Art in The Park + More
- Worcester Art Museum’s Gay Wedding Promotion Provokes Catholics
- Worcester Art Museum’s Waschek Moves Aggressively Into New Era
- OSV Set to Hold Annual Music and Art Weekend
- 5 Weekend Musts: Music and Art at Sturbridge + More