Music Worcester to Present Bach’s Magnificat & Cantatas
Tuesday, November 27, 2018
“JS Bach is a well-adored composer here in Worcester. He is a certainly a favorite among all classical music enthusiast with his much-noted work, especially Magnificat and Cantatas. With the Worcester Chorus and our lineup of talented soloist, our audience is in for a treat this holiday season,” said Music Worcester Executive Director Adrien C. Finlay.
The concert will take place on Saturday, December 1 at 8 p.m.
The program will feature J. S. Bach’s Magnificat and Cantatas, a musical setting of the biblical canticle Magnificat.
Written for Christmas Vespers in 1723, it is scored for five vocal parts and a Baroque orchestra including trumpets and timpani that illuminate the Nativity story.
Musicians include The Worcester Chorus under the direction of Chris Shepard as part of his 10th season; Susan Consoli, soprano; Krista River, mezzo-soprano; Charles Blandy, tenor; and Stephan Barnicle, bass.
The program will also feature a pre-concert talk within Washburn Hall by Dr. Joshua Rohde, Director of Choral Activities, Worcester Polytechnic Institute.
- Music Worcester Announces 2017 Young Artist Competitions
- Music Worcester to Host Fun for All Ages Show at Mechanics Hall in November
- Hanover Theatre to Celebrate Legacy of Music Worcester
- 1st Annual Make Music Worcester to Debut in June
- Jazz Legend Marsalis to Open Music Worcester’s 2017-18 Season
- Music Worcester to Host Concert Benefiting LGBTQ+ Communities
- Music Worcester Announces Schedule of Performances for April
- Saxophone Legend Marsalis to Open Music Worcester’s 2018-19 Season