Old Sturbridge Village Set for Patriots’ Day Celebration
Tuesday, April 12, 2016
Old Sturbridge Village will celebrate the Patriots' day with ringing bells, stirring drumbeats, shrilling fife and cannon fire on Monday, April 18. Visitors will participate in programs and activities throughout the day that mark the beginning of the American Revolution at the battle of Lexington and Concord.
The Village is open on Patriots' Day, Monday, April 18 from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The main event of the Patriots' Day celebration will be the re-create of the alarm that was sounded throughout Massachussetts when the British marched from Boston to Lexington and Concord.
Men, including the Sturbridge Company of Minutemen, will come from shops, houses and farms at the call of the Center Meetinghouse bell. The citizen-soldiers will gather at the common to hear the news "We are marching to fight the 'regulars'!" and the march off.
Dressed up historians will invite young visitors to become minutemen, and minutewomen, wielding replica muskets and swords, to learn how to drill and march, with flags flying. In the blacksmith shop, guests will see how musket balls were cast from lead.
Family Farm Fest
The 2nd annual Family Farm Fest will also continue on Patriots' Day and guests will enjoy seeing new lambs born this spring, in addition to bigs, cows, oxen, and chickens. Households will prepare for spring with craftspeople carry on important work and trades.
Old Sturbridge Village
Old Sturbridge Village, first opened to the public in 1946, is one of the country's oldest and largest living history museums, celebrating life in early New England from 1790-1840.
- Indoor + Outdoor Fun at Old Sturbridge Village for Holiday Break
- Halloween Freebie: Treats and Tricks at Old Sturbridge Village
- Old Sturbridge Village Celebrates Feb. Break, President’s Day Wknd
- Don’t Miss: Old Sturbridge Village’s Celtic Celebration Weekend
- Uplifting Stories Highlight Black History Weekend at Old Sturbridge
- Old Sturbridge Village to Honor Legendary Composer John Williams
- Don’t Miss: Muster Day at Old Sturbridge Village
- Old Sturbridge Village to Host Gardening Workshop
- Shaughnessy To Speak At Old Sturbridge Village
- Free Tomato Plant Giveaway at Old Sturbridge Village
- Catch Wool Days at Old Sturbridge Village With Your WOO Card
- Fire & Ice Day at Old Sturbridge Village July 19
- Experience Redcoats & Rebels at Old Sturbridge Village With Your Woo Card
- Old Sturbridge Village Opens Exhibit Displaying Dexter - Russell Knives
- Old Sturbridge Village to Host Ceremony for New U.S. Citizens on July 4
- Old Sturbridge Academy Charter Public School Accepting Student Applications
- Old Sturbridge Village Set to Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day
- Old Sturbridge Village to Celebrate Maple Days
- See Christmas by Candlelight at Old Sturbridge Village with Your WOO Card
- Celebrate Thanksgiving Weekend at Old Sturbridge Village with Your WOO Card
- Old Sturbridge Village to Celebrate Senator Stephen Brewer Day
- Old Sturbridge Village to Offer Free Admission to Kids on Labor Day Weekend
- Attend Apple Days at Old Sturbridge Village With Your Woo Card
- Old Sturbridge Village to Host “From Field to Table” Weekend
- Old Sturbridge Village Announces 1st Speaker Series Program of 2016