Old Sturbridge Village to Host Family Fun Days from September 3-5
Friday, August 19, 2016
During the weekend, guest can ride in the Village stagecoach, take a boat ride on a Quinebaug River, enjoy classic early 19th century games like tug of war, base ball, and others. Those attending will be able to meet heritage breed oxen, cows, pigs and chickens, while the OSV historians and artisans show off their hearth cooking skills, pottery, blacksmithing and much more.
"The immersive environment of the Village---- surrounded by the sights, sounds, animals, smells, and scenery of the past---- sparks the imagination of kids and adults alike. Stepping into the Village is as close as you can get to stepping back in time---- and how wonderful to do so with our 21st century minds! A visit to the Village allows kids to make connections between the lives of children in the past and their own lives today. Family Fun Days will be full of activities: group games, hands-on crafts, animal activity, and farming demonstrations, but there are also plenty of opportunities for quiet exploration for visitors who prefer a slower pace. That's what I think is so special about our Village---- there is so much for everyone," notes Emily Dunnack, Director of Education at the Village.
During Family Fun Days, children can compete in the ever-popular "Farmyard Games," where teams are pitted against one another to complete a farm task like building a fence or splitting rails.
Also during the weekend, the daily launch of a toy "fire balloon" on the Common is a tradition at Old Sturbridge Village. The world's first hot air balloon launch was in 1783, so the fascination with balloons was in full swing during the time period portrayed at the Village.
For more information, click here.
- Experience Redcoats & Rebels at Old Sturbridge Village With Your Woo Card
- Fire & Ice Day at Old Sturbridge Village July 19
- Old Sturbridge Village to Celebrate Senator Stephen Brewer Day
- Old Sturbridge Village to Offer Free Admission to Kids on Labor Day Weekend
- Attend Apple Days at Old Sturbridge Village With Your Woo Card
- Uplifting Stories Highlight Black History Weekend at Old Sturbridge
- Don’t Miss: Old Sturbridge Village’s Celtic Celebration Weekend
- Old Sturbridge Village to Honor Legendary Composer John Williams
- Halloween Freebie: Treats and Tricks at Old Sturbridge Village
- Indoor + Outdoor Fun at Old Sturbridge Village for Holiday Break
- Old Sturbridge Village Celebrates Feb. Break, President’s Day Wknd
- Old Sturbridge Village to Host “From Field to Table” Weekend
- Celebrate Thanksgiving Weekend at Old Sturbridge Village with Your WOO Card
- Old Sturbridge Village Set for Patriots’ Day Celebration
- Old Sturbridge Village Announces 1st Speaker Series Program of 2016
- Old Sturbridge Village to Host Wool Days on Memorial Day Weekend
- Old Sturbridge Village Honors Nancy Coolidge with 2016 President’s Award
- Old Sturbridge Village Acquires Two 18th Century Portraits
- Old Sturbridge Village to Celebrate Maple Days
- Old Sturbridge Village Set to Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day
- See Christmas by Candlelight at Old Sturbridge Village with Your WOO Card
- Old Sturbridge Village to Host Ceremony for New U.S. Citizens on July 4
- Old Sturbridge Village Opens Exhibit Displaying Dexter - Russell Knives
- Old Sturbridge Academy Charter Public School Accepting Student Applications
- Old Sturbridge Village to Hold Textile Weekend Starting August 20