Organize + Energize: 4 Areas to Declutter in March
Tuesday, March 07, 2017
Here are the 4 areas you can tackle this month:
Makeup. You should go through your makeup every 6 months. Declutter anything that’s old or that you’re no longer wearing. Categorize everything. You want to be as efficient as possible. Think about how many items you have to touch before you find what you need. Shave time off your morning routine and organize this space.
Nail polish. Do you have nail polish scattered all over your home? It’s time to gather all your nail polish and tools and declutter. Depending on what type of space you have, you can purchase a tiered rack to display your polish and tools or you can store them in a bin tucked away. Throw away any old nail polish and write down any colors that you need to replenish.
Linens. How many sheets does one need? You can only keep one set on a bed at a time, so I say keep 2 sets on hand for each bed. Go through all of your linens and donate or toss any that are ripped, stained, or the elastics have lost their elasticity.
Under the bathroom sink. This space gets neglected sometimes. When was the last time you took everything out of this space and took inventory? I’ll bet that you’ll be throwing out many items that have expired. You’ll also find items you were looking for and items you forgot you had. Categorize everything and contain it. You’ll be amazed at how much more space you’ll have once you place categorized items in containers.
March is a long month and a great time to tackle these small projects. Schedule them on your calendar. Remember to limit your distractions, stay on task and stay in the room you’re working in and your project will be finished in record time. Take note to how you feel once these areas are completed.
Related Slideshow: Organizing Products For Your Closet
Flip flop organizer
How many flip flops do you own? Are they thrown all over the closet floor? How long does it take you to find a match to one of them? Bed Bath and Beyond has a $9.99 flip flop organizer that holds 6 pairs of flip flops and hangs nicely in your closet. This is a must-have if you have more than 5 pairs of flip flops. I’ve purchased these for my clients and they work great!
You love your scarves, but it takes you forever to locate one and you have to throw 5 around to find the one you are searching for. Use a scarf organizer and you will be able to see all your scarves and find them at a moment’s notice. Bed Bath and Beyond has a few different types of scarf organizers, including this one for $9.99.
Did you know people who didn’t own shoe racks were 7 times more likely to show up late for an event? Are your shoes in piles on the floor? Get them off the floor and contain them in a shoe rack. There are many options out there, like this one from Bed Bath and Beyond. Choose the shoe rack that is going to fit what you need to hold and fit in the space you are working with.
How are you storing your handbags? Are they stored all over your closet? Are they in bins or crumpled up on the floor? It’s time to organize your bags. There are many options depending on the space you are working with. You can stand them up on a shelf, you can hang them, or if they are small, you can store them in a canvas bin. The choice is yours. Think about how you function and develop a system from there.
Baseball cap organizer
How many baseball caps do you own? How are they organized in your closet now, and how long does it take you to find one? The Container Store (pictured here), Bed Bath and Beyond, and other stores sell this baseball cap organizer. I have a few clients that have purchased them and they love them!
Function over flash
There are many variations on these products. Choose the product that is right for you. There are some organizing products I would never use, but other people might choose to use them. Choose the one that is going to be the most efficient and productive product for you and your family. Don’t choose a product because it’s pretty, choose it based on functionality. Search online for different products before you rush out and purchase a product. You may find that one store is more expensive than another. Don’t forget if you are going to Bed Bath and Beyond to use their 20% off coupons. If you don’t want to purchase these items, get creative and re-purpose items around the home, or make your own!
Kristin Carcieri-MacRae, the founder and owner of Organizing in RI, has always enjoyed finding creative ways to streamline the environment around her. She has appeared on air on Patricia Raskin's Positive Business Radio and her articles have been published in the Rhode Island Small Business Journal and New England Home Life. Kristin's CD, Organizing Basics, is a 1-hour guide for the person who wants to get organized but doesn't know where to start. She is also available for organizing workshops. Tune into her weekly radio show, Organize, Energize! on Mondays at 8:30am on www.talkstreamradio.com.
- Organize + Energize: Overwhelmed? You’re Not Alone
- Organize + Energize: 7 Ways to Maximize Space in Your Kitchen for the Holidays
- Organize + Energize: Give Experiences Instead of Things This Holiday Season
- Organize + Energize: 5 Ways to Survive the Holidays
- Organize + Energize: Simplify Your Laundry Routine
- Organize + Energize: 8 Ways to Maximize Space in Your Home
- Organize + Energize: Organize Your Medical Files in 5 Easy Steps
- Organize + Energize: 9 Organizing Systems You’ll Need When Starting a Business
- Organize + Energize: Are You a Procrastinator?
- Organize + Energize: 4 Reasons Why I don’t Post Before & After Pictures
- Organize + Energize: 3 Organizing Rrojects to Tackle This Fall
- Organize + Energize: 8 Ways to Organize Your Email Inbox
- Organize + Energize: Tips for Organizing Holiday Decorations
- Organize + Energize: Organizing Your Memorabilia
- Organize + Energize: Is Your Nightstand Giving you Nightmares?
- Organize + Energize: 4 Areas to Declutter This Month
- Organize + Energize: 7 Ways to Find More Time in Your Day
- Organize + Energize: 8 Things Not to do When Packing for Vacation
- Organize + Energize: How Much do You Need to be Happy?
- Organize + Energize: 4 Spaces to Declutter This Month
- Organize + Energize: Plan & Prepare This Holiday Season
- Organize + Energize: 6 Tips to Organize Kid’s Toys Before The Holidays
- Organize + Energize: 2016 Year in Review
- Organize + Energize: 9 Reasons You Need to get Organized Now!
- Organize + Energize: 6 Ways to Stay Focused at Work