Organize + Energize: 6 Ways to Stay Focused at Work
Tuesday, February 28, 2017
Here are 6 ways to stay focused at work:
Declutter and get organized. Visual clutter leads to mental clutter which will in turn cause you to lose focus and decrease your productivity. Declutter and organize your desk. You should only have on top of your desk what you need on a daily basis. Remove the horizontal flat filing trays. They are a breeding ground for paper.
Have a system and a process for everything you do in your office. If you’re disorganized and go to search for a file or important paper, you’ll waste time searching for it and this will allow you to become distracted and lose focus. Have a process to handle every piece of paper and email that arrives at your desk. Create working filing systems so that when you need to search for an item, it will be at your fingertips and you’ll be able to find it at a moment’s notice. Remember, the simpler the systems you create, the easier the system will be to maintain.
Work on your time management skills. Organization and time management go hand in hand. You can’t work on your time management skills until you have decluttered and organized. Create blocks of time that you dedicate to projects you’re working on. Prioritize your tasks. Take some time to think about how you’re functioning in your day. What changes can you make to become more efficient and productive?
Limit your interruptions. Aside from urgent issues that need to be handled immediately, set aside time for your co-workers to ask you questions. They won’t be disrupting you throughout the day and it will allow you to stay focused.
Reduce your lingering time around the office. The minute you get up from your desk, you’ll immediately get distracted. Somebody may see you are up and that is a cue for them to speak to you. It’s going to distract you and take you away from what you were doing at that moment.
Drink water and eat healthy while at work. This will keep you alert, productive, and will keep you focused.
Remember that when an urgent matter occurs in the office, the organized person handles the situation and continues about their day. The disorganized person, wastes time searching for a file, gets stressed and frustrated, loses focus and takes longer to recover from the situation. Getting organized and working on your time management skills will allow you to stay focused throughout the day.
Related Slideshow: Organize + Energize: 2016 Year in Review
6 Productivity Habits My Parents Taught Me When I Was Young
When both parents are disorganized at home, most of the time, their kids are following in their footsteps. The organizational skill set never gets passed down to the kids. If the kids see that it’s ok for mom and dad to live in disorganized spaces, then they believe it’s ok for them too! If you feel you can’t transfer that skill set to your kids, it may be time to call in a professional to help them with the process. You’ll be amazed at how much the kids love the process! I was fortunate to grow up with 2 parents that were organized, efficient and productive. Here are some of the habits they taught me.
6 Reasons You Need to Declutter
Most of my clients think I’m going to come over and tell them that they have to throw out all of their stuff. This is not true. My goal is to get you to become more efficient and productive. If there are things in your home that are no longer useful to you, we have a discussion about them before we get rid of anything. That being said, you have to declutter if you want to move forward. Here are 6 reasons you need to declutter.
Is Your Cluttered Bedroom Killing Your Mood?
How’s the ambiance in your bedroom these days? Clutter in the bedroom is a definite mood killer. You want your bedroom to be a place of serenity, relaxation, and a place to just unwind. Get the paper piles, piles of clothes, toys, bins, and other clutter out of the room and watch the magic happen. Interested? Read how clutter is killing your mood.
Are Your Magazines Collecting Dust?
If you have magazines that are collecting dust, it’s time to throw them out. You may be surprised at how old they are! Again, magazines collecting dust in the bedroom aren’t good for the chi in the room or any other room in the home. Here are some tips on how to control the magazines that enter your home.
Are Your Kids Following Your Lead and Becoming Disorganized?
I love to see kids thrive in an organized home and as discussed in the first slide, it can be difficult to do that if the adults in the home are living in chaos. Watch how you take care of your spaces and see if you’re kids are picking up on your habits. Are your kids picking up on your disorganized habits?
5 Things to do After You've Organized Your Office
You’ve organized your office, now what? It takes work to maintain it. Six months down the road, you don’t want to end up working in disorganized chaos again, right? Put the work in and you’ll find you’re saving time, money, and you’ll be more efficient and productive. Here are 5 things to do after you’ve organized your office.
- Organize + Energize: 7 Ways to Maximize Space in Your Kitchen for the Holidays
- Organize + Energize: 8 Ways to Maximize Space in Your Home
- Organize + Energize: Overwhelmed? You’re Not Alone
- Organize + Energize: Give Experiences Instead of Things This Holiday Season
- Organize + Energize: 5 Ways to Survive the Holidays
- Organize + Energize: Organize Your Medical Files in 5 Easy Steps
- Organize + Energize: 3 Organizing Rrojects to Tackle This Fall
- Organize & Energize: 7 Ways to Stop Feeling Overwhelmed
- Organize + Energize: 9 Organizing Systems You’ll Need When Starting a Business
- Organize + Energize: Are You a Procrastinator?
- Organize + Energize: 4 Reasons Why I don’t Post Before & After Pictures
- Organize + Energize: Simplify Your Laundry Routine
- Organize + Energize: 8 Ways to Organize Your Email Inbox
- Organize + Energize: Is Your Nightstand Giving you Nightmares?
- Organize + Energize: How Much do You Need to be Happy?
- Organize + Energize: Organizing Your Memorabilia
- Organize + Energize: 4 Areas to Declutter This Month
- Organize + Energize: 7 Ways to Find More Time in Your Day
- Organize + Energize: 4 Spaces to Declutter This Month
- Organize + Energize: 9 Reasons You Need to get Organized Now!
- Organize + Energize: Tips for Organizing Holiday Decorations
- Organize + Energize: Plan & Prepare This Holiday Season
- Organize + Energize: 6 Tips to Organize Kid’s Toys Before The Holidays
- Organize + Energize: 2016 Year in Review
- Organize + Energize: 8 Things Not to do When Packing for Vacation