Organize + Energize: Organizing Your Holiday Decorations
Tuesday, November 26, 2013
Here are 7 tips to help you with the process:
Do you really know what you have?
As you start to take out your decorations, take everything out of the boxes and sort. Once everything is out of the boxes, you will know exactly what you have. Are there boxes of decorations you haven’t opened in years? Now is the time to go through everything, throw away, donate, or keep.
Storing your decorations.
Get rid of the cardboard boxes that you are holding the decorations in and purchase Rubbermaid or Sterilite totes. These bins are usually weather resistant and will keep out mold and mildew. If you are storing ornaments, banker’s box makes a box that holds ornaments.
Make a list of decorations you want to purchase for next year.
Think about what you need for next year as you start packing things away. Do you need more lights, decorations, table settings? Make a list now and place it in your calendar for next year. You won’t waste time figuring out what you need next year, it will be at your fingertips when you need it.
Keep like items together and in categories.
By storing things this way, they will be easier to find next year. This tips will save you time and you will have less stress because you know where everything is located.
Keep assortments of lights wrapped and labeled in a container.
If there are any sets of lights that aren’t working or are on their way out, be sure to throw them out now. Organize the types of lights you have and be sure to label. Keep lights in their own labeled containers.
Don’t forget about your wrapping materials.
It is also important to keep your wrapping materials organized. Keep all bags, tissue, wrapping contained to one area, categorized and organized in bins.
Label, label, label.
Be sure to label everything. Nothing is worse than looking at a bunch of bins in the basement or attic and having no idea what is in them.
When purchasing containers to store your decorations, think about what you have and then buy the containers to fit what you have. Never buy containers without first figuring out what you have to store in them. We get excited at the thought of organizing and go out and buy random containers only to get home and realize they aren’t right for what we need.
If you start this process of getting organized now, you won’t have to stress or waste time next year figuring out what you need to purchase. You won’t have to wonder where everything is located. You will be organized and it’s one less thing you have to worry about next holiday season.
- Organize + Energize: 7 Tips On Clearing Mental Clutter
- Organize + Energize: Get Organized For the Holidays
- Organize + Energize: 8 Steps For Organizing Your Home Office
- Organize + Energize: Getting Rid Of All That Stuff
- Organize + Energize: 10 Steps To An Organized Linen Closet
- Organize + Energize: 8 Ways To Keep Clutter Out Of Your Kitchen
- Organize + Energize: How To Handle Your Disorganized Teen
- Organize + Energize: 10 Steps To a Clutter-Free Bedroom
- Organize + Energize: 8 Ways To Stay Organized For Summer Outings
- Organize + Energize: How To Manage All That Paper
- Organize + Energize: 5 Reasons To Use A To-Do List
- Organize + Energize: 8 Ways to Get More Time In Your Day
- Organize + Energize: Simplify the Holiday Season
- Organize + Energize: 5 Tips For Easier Back To School Shopping
- Organize + Energize: 9 Ways to Save Money + Time At The Market
- Organize + Energize: The Instant Cure For Disorganization
- Organize + Energize: 5 Ways To Get More Free Time
- Organize + Energize: Back To School Family Calendar Ideas
- Organize + Energize: The Power Of A Closet Purge
- Organize + Energize: 5 Ways To Organize Your Health Records
- Organize + Energize: Clear the Clutter For the Holidays
- Organize + Energize: Throwing Out Your Wedding Dress